Release notes for WeBWorK 2.15
WeBWorK Online Homework Delivery System Version 2.15 Copyright 2000-2019, The WeBWorK Project All rights reserved. Details ------- Prerelease date: The advanced beta version of webwork and pg 2.15 is anticipated to be released in June 2019. It is currently (6/1/2019) in the develop branch. Release date: October 6, 2019 Big new features: 1. multilingual support -- all characters will be supported (even emoji for up-to-date support stacks :-) We are looking for a translation coordinator and translators and people to help organizing an international library of problems. 2. Easier docker installation -- we will improve documentation to allow you to download and spin up a complete webwork site running on your laptop. This makes it easy to test new webwork features and faster for editing questions. Other features: Commits: The master branch was modified by 378 commits in merging the webwork-2.15 branch into master. Github repository: https://github.com/openwebwork Modules: webwork2 pg ww_install
Some trouble shooting tips
- A useful alias for entering the docker container. Issue it from the webwork2 directory in the place where you have downloaded your webwork repos. (In this case in webwork-docker/webwork2).
- Put this in your .bashrc file
alias dockerbash='docker container exec -it webwork2_app_1 bash'
- or use the command directly to open a bash instance inside the docker container. It is exactly as if you were logging in to the command line of a site running webwork. You will have to navigate to /opt/webwork/webwork2 to find the copy of the files "inside" the site.
- If the password for admin doesn't work for the admin course you can fix it. Using the bash shell provided by dockerbash navigate to the bin directory.
- cd webwork2/bin
- wwsh admin ./putadmin
wwsh - The WeBWorK Shell Available objects: $ce (WeBWorK::CourseEnvironment) $db (WeBWorK::DB) Available modules: Data::Dumper
courseID: admin and scriptFile: ./putadmin -------------------------------- data changed for user admin -------------------------------- done
- The admin password has been reset to admin.
Advise for connecting WeBWorK up to a remote mysql database using secure communications (ssl).
- These notes are from Henry Agnew at UCDavis who has set WeBWorK up to work with LibreTexts.
The dbi configuration in site.conf now reads:
# The database dsn is the path to the WeBWorK database which you have created. # Unless you have given the database a different name or the database resides on another # server you do not need to change this first value. # The format is dbi:mysql:[databasename] for databases on the local machine # For a remote database the format is dbi:mysql:[databasename]:[hostname]:[port] $database_dsn ="dbi:mysql:webwork"; $database_storage_engine = 'myisam';
For ssl communication Henry used:
"The only change that I needed to do was modify the DBI string a bit and remove the parts about client keys. Basically, you can enable ssl support in WeBWorK just by adding mysql_ssl=1;mysql_ssl_ca_file=/path/to/ca-certificate.crt. I think the issue I was having before was bad permissions on the certificate and my inclusion of the client keys which are not necessary.
Here is my working DBI in my webwork configuration: "dbi:mysql:webwork:webwork-secure-do-user-3930413-0.db.ondigitalocean.com:25060;mysql_ssl=1;mysql_ssl_ca_file=/mnt/c/Users/Henry/Desktop/Perl/ca-certificate.crt"
If WeBWorK has a wiki, I would recommend adding this somewhere incase anyone else wants to use an SSL MySQL database. -Henry Agnew"