WeBWorK Main Forum

solutions in instructor hardcopy (webwork 2.7)

solutions in instructor hardcopy (webwork 2.7)

by Gavin LaRose -
Number of replies: 6
Hi all,

I believe the following is the default behavior in WeBWorK 2.7 (at least, this is what I'm seeing): if an instructor generates a hardcopy of a set for which the problems have solutions, s/he sees the solutions regardless of:

• the selection of the "show solutions" checkbox in the generate hardcopy selector page; and
  • the setting of "always_show_solution" in %permissionLevels in default.conf/localOverrides.conf.

Can someone else confirm or refute this behavior? It looks like a bug to me, but it may also be that I have something messed up at my end.

Thanks,
Gavin

In reply to Gavin LaRose

Re: solutions in instructor hardcopy (webwork 2.7)

by Michael Gage -
see 

http://bugs.webwork.maa.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2707

for more discussion.  Not sure if it is a bug or a feature. :-) 

You might ask Geoff what changes he made if any.  I couldn't find a change in the recent pull requests.

In reply to Michael Gage

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi Mike,

Thanks. From the discussion there it does sound as if the code was patched to make the "show solutions" selection be honored, but that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment. I'll follow up with Geoff.

I'd agree with Danny that this is a bug, not a feature.

Gavin

In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Danny Glin -
This happened to me too.  I'm hoping that this is not the intended behaviour.  I had a student who was having login issues, and I wanted to print him a copy of his assignment to start working on, but I couldn't due to not being able to suppress solutions.

Danny
In reply to Danny Glin

by Gavin LaRose -
Hi all,

Geoff indicates that the behavior that I expected should be the default if one has a fully updated installation of PG. The update would have been made on or around 31 August 2013, so that would require an update to PG after that.

(Thanks, Geoff!)

Gavin

In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Danny Glin -
I changed always_show_solution to "nobody" on my install, and solutions don't always show up.

I'm not sure I see the need for this setting at all.  Does anyone see a problem with the following scenario:
  • When a pg problem is loaded in a page, do the usual checks to see if solutions can be displayed (high enough permissions, after answer date, etc.).  If so, include the solution in the page, hidden with javascript (which is what happens for students in 2.7 already).  Then it is one click and no page loads to view the solution.
  • For hard copies, leave the configuration as it was.  When generating a hardcopy, let the user choose if solutions are displayed.
Danny
In reply to Gavin LaRose

by Dick Lane -
Although this bug seems to be fixed for an instructor, the current view for a student after an assignment has closed needs repair.  (I've submitted a followup comment to the bugzilla item cited by Mike.)

During an office visit last week, I noticed a student was not seeing the SOLUTION link/popup after answerDate until CheckAnswer had been invoked.  I think this temporary hiding of a Solution (at a time when it should be obviously available) is wrong.

After an experiment with one of my pseudo-student accounts, I can confirm that unfortunate behavior.  It is independent of the student's status for work on a problem: 100% or (partial correct) or (all wrong) or (not attempted).  Previous behavior (after answerDate) required CheckAnswer after selecting the ShowSolution checkbox --- that awkwardness is better than current hiding of Solution availability until the CheckAnswer button is used.

PS: after this is fixed, I suggest ShowAnswer for a student after answerDate be handled with a similar link/popup.  That would better emphasize the value of CheckAnswer for a student continuing to work on a problem.  OTOH, since CorrectAnswers and Solutions are now shown using drastically different mechanisms, I would be content with a fix of the wrongly delayed display of Solution link/popup.