WeBWorK Main Forum

Can't browser library in fresh Webwork 2.9 install..get errors always

Can't browser library in fresh Webwork 2.9 install..get errors always

by Christian Seberino -
Number of replies: 6
I did a fresh install of Webwork 2.9 using installation script on Amazon EC2.  

I can't view ANY library problem files without getting this message....

Error messages

Undefined subroutine &WeBWorK::PG::Translator::fileFromPath called at /opt/webwork/pg/lib/WeBWorK/PG/Translator.pm line 543.
Call stack

The information below can help locate the source of the problem.

in WeBWorK::PG::Local::new called at line 50 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/PG.pm
in WeBWorK::PG::new called at line 312 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils/Tasks.pm
in WeBWorK::Utils::Tasks::renderProblems called at line 1590 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator/Instructor/SetMaker.pm
in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::Instructor::SetMaker::body called at line 155 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Template.pm
in WeBWorK::Template::template called at line 530 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator.pm
in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::content called at line 202 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator.pm
in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::go called at line 380 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm
In reply to Christian Seberino

Re: Can't browser library in fresh Webwork 2.9 install..get errors always

by Hedley Pinsent -
If the error is sporadic and can be made to go away after rebooting apache (you may need to try several reboots before it goes away) then it is the subject of the current discussion at -

http://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3347

if you want to actually modify line 543 (as is suggested by some ) but are uncertain the details consult -
http://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3399
In reply to Hedley Pinsent

by Christian Seberino -
Indeed several restarts of Apache fixed the problem.  Very strange.

by Peter Staab -
Glad this worked, but we have a fix for this coming. Just needs to be added to the current version. 

by Michael Gage -
Christian,

Try the following minimalist change.

In the file pg/lib/WeBWorK/PG/IO.pm

comment out the line:

our @ISA = qw(PGcore);

so that it reads:
#our @ISA = qw(PGcore);

See if this fixes the problem even when you reboot several times.  (There is some kind of race condition that causes the error so it is intermittent and hard to track down. )

Let us know if this seems to work and particularly let us know if the error occasionally reoccurs after a reboot.

So far I haven't been able to reproduce the problem on my Vagrant installation where I've installed perl 5.18.0  but I'm not sure I've got the proper test environment since I think apache may still be using the perl 5.14 version.

-- Mike Gage

In reply to Michael Gage

by Christian Seberino -
Leaving it uncommented and rebooting put the problem back.

Commenting it out and rebooting fixed the problem.

So far it looks to be holding.  I'll keep you posted.

This is a throwaway Amazon EC2 instance.  I could give you access to it if you wish.

cs