WebWork Tutorial Reusing Homework Sets (Moving homework sets from one course to another)
There are a number of instances where you want to move homework sets from one course to another:
- You are teaching the same course as you taught in a previous semester and would like to start with the same homework assignments.
- You like want to start with someone else’s problem sets for a course you are teaching for the first time.
- You want to start with a look at someone else’s assignments.
- You are teaching two sections of the same course and want to give the same homework to both sections and you have decided this after the courses have started.
For the all of these cases we actually need to move problems from one section to another.
The basic process will be to:
- Export homework sets so that they are files available to the file manager.
- If several sets are included, create an archive to put all the sets in the same tar file.
- Download the archived tar file.
- Switch to the new course and upload the archived file.
- Import the homework sets.
We now go through the process with lots of screen shots.
(A) Export the Homework Sets.
Looking at the files available under the “File Manager “ tab, we see the basic set of files, but nothing for the set we have created.
“We go back to the Hmwk Sets Editor” and select our problem set for export. (I have selected the set and chosen the export button. Hit the take action button.
See the intermediate step
Note the message that indicates we have exported a file.
If we now go back to the file list, we find the file setFirstSet.def.
(B) Suppose we now want to move a bunch of files from one course to another. Select the bunch of files.
Hit “Make Archive” and see the message that the tgz file has been created.
(C) Next you want to download the archive file to your desktop. Select the tgz file and hit download.
(D) Switch to the new course and upload the archived file. We create a new course called Experiment3. Go to the file manager and select browse, then find the file to upload.
Now select upload and see that the problem set has been added to the file list.
Notice that the set has been imported.