Release notes for WeBWorK 2.16
Jump to navigation Jump to search
New WeBWorK Features
- A new manual problem grader that works for all problems in homework and in gateway quizzes.
- The ability to navigate between students when acting as a student
- Upgrades to the way images are shown to students (resize, zoom, drag)
- Upgraded to MathJax 3 from MathJax 2
- As of 2.15 WeBWorK supports MathQuill for student input.
ADD_CSS_FILEin the PG.pl macro.
- Explanation essays (ask for a regular answer, separately ask for an explanation essay, but the essay part can be globally disabled)
- Rearrange presentation order for homework and quizzes on Homework Sets page (see PR #1282)
- Achievements items need not be single-use
New PG Features
- TikZ images in problems.
- New macro parserGraphTool.pl for interactive graphing problems. See also GraphTool problem technique.
- "digits" tolType (needs explanation wherever tolerance in general is explained, TODO)
random_pairwise_coprimemethods added to PGauxiliaryFunctions.html (Needs documentation probably in .
- PGML can be used in set header files
- MathObject: context classes can have aliases and alternates. (For example variable "X" could be an alias for "x".)
- Improved hardcopy of PGML problems
- Improvements in efficiency to PGstatisticsmacros.pl.
- Revised "WeBWorK errors" page code + error.log records
- Fixes to the LTI integration, and improved debugging
- Same-site Cookies
- Fix applets in gateway quizzes
- Additional security fixes
Things that were fixed
Should there be a section like this? For example:
- Fixed bug when Gateway questions were not in sequential order
- Fix bug where, for example, `Formula("-5/(-2 x)")` would display `5/2x` for its text string
- Install npm from your package manager (Ubuntu:
apt install npmCentOS/RHEL:
yum install npm).
> cd /opt/webwork/webwork2/htdocs > npm install
- WW 2.16 requires MathJax v3. Previous versions of WW required MathJax v2 that was installed at /opt/webwork/MathJax. WW 2.16 installs MathJax via npm, so if you are upgrading an existing WW installation you may safely delete /opt/webwork/MathJax.
- The following perl packages will need to be installed
- HTTP::Async (on Ubuntu install the package libhttp-async-perl)
- CGI::Cookie (see https://github.com/openwebwork/webwork2/pull/1149)
- Archive::Zip (on Ubuntu install the package libarchive-zip-perl)
- There have been some tweaks to localOverrides.conf.dist. If you have not done any customization to localOverrides.conf then you should consider replacing it with a new copy of localOverrides.conf.dist. If you have made customizations in localOverrides.conf, you should consider synchronizing them with the latest version of localOverrides.conf.dist.
- Update your modelcourse with the new modelcourse.dist
- The math4 theme has changed. If you use a custom theme, you may need to update your theme files to address these changes.
- WeBWorK is currently not compatible with recent versions of the SQL::Abstract package, so avoid upgrading past version 1.8. WW is known to work with versions up to 1.87. (See: https://github.com/openwebwork/webwork2/issues/1236 and https://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5570)
- If you want to allow the use of the new PGtikz.pl macro, you will need to install imagemagick (Ubuntu:
apt install imagemagick) and modify /etc/ImageMagick-6/policy.xml and change the line near the end of the file from
<policy domain="coder" rights="none" pattern="PDF" />
<policy domain="coder" rights="read" pattern="PDF" />
- TikZ has two different options for a back-end program for generating images. The system administrator will have to decide which one is appropriate for their system (see https://github.com/openwebwork/webwork2/pull/1320)
- TikZ requires the following two commands to be installed on your system:
apt install dvisvgm pdf2svg; RHEL/CentOS:
yum install dvisvgm- pdf2svg is not currently packaged for REHEL/CentOS.)
- UTF-8 support of the XML subsystem needs a local patch to be applied to /usr/share/perl5/XMLRPC/Lite.pm See: https://github.com/openwebwork/webwork2/issues/967#issuecomment-523941959. This patch can be applied with
sudo patch -p1 -d / < /opt/webwork/webwork2/docker-config/xmlrpc-lite-utf8-fix.patch
Call for Translators
Some text has changed in the WeBWorK interface, so there are new entries that need to be translated into other languages.