Forum archive 2000-2006

Mark Schmitt - Installing WeBWorK

Mark Schmitt - Installing WeBWorK

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicInstalling WeBWorK topic started 7/13/2002; 6:45:33 AM
last post 7/24/2002; 10:59:28 AM
userMark Schmitt - Installing WeBWorK  blueArrow
7/13/2002; 6:45:33 AM (reads: 1696, responses: 3)
I just finished installing WeBWorK for the Geology Department at Wayne State University, and I ran into a few problems.

First, using webwork_1.7_02.October-19-2001.tar.gz, I did not have the file course_webwork_setup.pl, nor did I get the file in the templates tarball. I found the file on the CVS and completed the install ok.

The second problem in on-going. If I try to use feedback.pl I get the following errors:

[Sat Jul 13 12:39:43 2002] feedback.pl: Deep recursion on subroutine "main::internal_error" at /home/httpd/webwork/system/cgi//cgi-scripts/feedback.pl line 136.
[Sat Jul 13 12:39:43 2002] feedback.pl: Deep recursion on subroutine "main::log" at /home/httpd/webwork/system/cgi//cgi-scripts/feedback.pl line 81.
I'm not sure why. I do not receive this error from feedback on my server at DCDS. The Wayne server is running RedHat 7.3 while the DCDS server is running RedHat 7.1.

If anyone has an idea of what might be wrong, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

<| Post or View Comments |>

userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - Re: Installing WeBWorK  blueArrow
7/14/2002; 5:37:19 AM (reads: 2023, responses: 1)
Mark,

The problem with feedback.pl is probably the WeBWorK bug discussed in http://webhost.math.rochester.edu/webworkdocs/discuss/msgReader$751

Briefly if the web server doesn't have permission to write to the file webwork-feedback.log, feedback.pl will recursively call itself to write an error message to webwork-feedback.log, which would lead to the situation you describe.

So make sure the web server has write permission for the logfile and the directory containing it. There is also a patch in the downloads directory fixing this recursion bug.

Zig

userBill Ziemer - Re: Installing WeBWorK  blueArrow
7/16/2002; 10:08:49 AM (reads: 2403, responses: 0)
You may also have a problem with Net::SMTP in feedback.pl using Redhat 7.x, I coded a workaround using sendmail if you need it.

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Installing WeBWorK  blueArrow
7/24/2002; 10:59:28 AM (reads: 2162, responses: 0)
Concerning Mark's first problem:

"First, using webwork_1.7_02.October-19-2001.tar.gz, I did not have the file course_webwork_setup.pl, nor did I get the file in the templates tarball. I found the file on the CVS and completed the install ok."

The script course_webwork_setup.pl is now contained in the .../system/scripts/ directory. Thus we no longer have multiple copies of the same (or very similar) script residing in each courses home directory. It does mean that if .../system/scripts/ is not in your path, you must use the full path name to run the scritp.