Forum archive 2000-2006

Stephen Corwin - blank ans_rule

Stephen Corwin - blank ans_rule

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicblank ans_rule topic started 9/25/2002; 9:22:57 AM
last post 9/25/2002; 1:28:02 PM
userStephen Corwin - blank ans_rule  blueArrow
9/25/2002; 9:22:57 AM (reads: 727, responses: 1)
Hi--

Sorry if this is a frequently asked question, but I can't seem to find an answer in the docs I have. When a problem is displayed, my ans_rules often contain text (usually, I think, text from an ans_rule in a previous problem). How can I ensure that they are always initially blank? Come to think of it, how can I ensure that checkboxes are initially unchecked?

Thanks,

Steve

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: blank ans_rule  blueArrow
9/25/2002; 1:28:02 PM (reads: 931, responses: 0)
Hi Steve,

What your answer rule contains (or should contain) is your last answer to the question. The first time you view a problem, all answer rules will be blank. This is very useful in many ways. E.g. (1) for students who want to edit incorrect answers, but not type the whole answer back in, (2) for students who fill in only some of the answers in a multipart question and return a few days later to fill in the rest, and (3) for professors who want to see (easily)exactly what answer a student gave.

Students can control this behavior by (un)checking "Show my old answers" (the default is "show" before the due date and " don't show" after). You can turn this off (for a system, a course, or an individual problem) by setting recordSubmittedAnswers = 0. We do this for questionnaires which are supposed to be confidential, but not for any other types of problems.

Since so many people find this very useful, I would think carefully before disabling it.

Arnie

<| Post or View Comments |>