Forum archive 2000-2006

John Jones - complex numbers in fun_cmp?

John Jones - complex numbers in fun_cmp?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopiccomplex numbers in fun_cmp? topic started 11/6/2002; 5:00:31 AM
last post 11/7/2002; 12:44:11 PM
userJohn Jones - complex numbers in fun_cmp?  blueArrow
11/6/2002; 5:00:31 AM (reads: 745, responses: 1)
Is there a way to turn on complex number checking when dealing with fun_cmp?

John

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: complex numbers in fun_cmp?  blueArrow
11/7/2002; 12:44:11 PM (reads: 933, responses: 0)
To Liam Rafferty:

Liam,

Do you have an answer evaluator that will analyze a function with complex coefficients? Or will the standard fun_cmp do this?

-- Mike

From Liam Rafferty, who has been working on answer evaluators for complex numbers.

Mike,

Standard function compare will not. It can merely use "i" as another variable, but this is not very useful since it ignores i's properties such as 1/i = -1, and the equivalance between the cartesian and polar form. And as of yet, the cplx_cmp I was working on over the summer doesn't handle functions. I'm not sure if some combination of the two could be used. I'll investigate this further, but as of right now, I don't think we have anything that can handle complex functions. Although I might eventually get cplx_cmp to do this. It may be useful to give John the current version of complex compare if he does not already have it. And John, you should check back in a month or two because I've still got some work to do on complex numbers, and there might be a method for comparing complex functions soon.

~Liam

PGcomplexmacros.pl is in the WeBWorK CVS in the courseScripts directory

-- Mike

<| Post or View Comments |>