Forum archive 2000-2006

Gregg Klein - Error in scoring page

Gregg Klein - Error in scoring page

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicError in scoring page topic started 12/30/2002; 10:17:12 PM
last post 12/31/2002; 9:20:29 AM
userGregg Klein - Error in scoring page  blueArrow
12/30/2002; 10:17:12 PM (reads: 843, responses: 2)
I received the following error when I tried to score an assignment.

Error: /ww/webwork/system/cgi/cgi-scripts/profScoreProbSet.pl /ww/webwork/system/courses/CHS-ALG2/scoring/CHS-ALG2_totals.csv is corrupted. The record NO OF FIELDS , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

contains 76 delimiters (,) whereas the record

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,0 ,0 , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , contains 75 delimiters.

MIKE or ARNIE I FIXED THE PROBLEM MYSELF. I JUSTED DELETED ALL MY SCORES AND UPLOADED THE NEW VERSION AND IT WORKED. WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?

Thanks,

Gregg

<| Post or View Comments |>

userThomas R. Shemanske - Re: Error in scoring page  blueArrow
12/31/2002; 8:01:23 AM (reads: 1017, responses: 0)
I had this happen once as well, but the resolution was not the same as yours.

For me, it happened when someone used the professor page to modify a student's score on a given problem. Say the score was .8. The person typed a comma instead of the decimal point, and hence the extra delimiter in the scoring file.

I fixed the record, then deleted the scoring files, and rescored everything.

Tom

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Error in scoring page  blueArrow
12/31/2002; 9:20:29 AM (reads: 1107, responses: 0)
Hi Gregg,

The scoring files are just standard csv (comma separated variable) ascii files. WeBWorK considers them to be corrupted (and will refuse to work with them) if all rows do not have the same number of fields (i.e. commas). That's what happened in your case. Since these files can be edited by hand or downloaded to a pc, edited by say Excel, and uploaded again it is possible for them to become corrupted. For example sometimes spreadsheet programs will remove an empty last field. Tom's experience above is similar.

I have never seen an example of these files becoming corrupted except where someone has done sometime directly (or indirectly as in Tom's example) to them by hand.

Here are a few hints in working with these files.

1. If you think a file may be corrupted, view it (item 2 on the scoring page) in html mode. You will be able to quickly see what the problem is.

2. If you want to edit a file by hand it's much easier if all the columns line up. This is usually the case but if not (e.g. you may have just uploaded the file from a spreedsheet program), first sort the file (item 5 on the scoring page). After WeBWorK does an operation, it alligns the columns so sorting is just a way to force this without changing the file.