Forum archive 2000-2006

Doug Drinen - Installation problem

Doug Drinen - Installation problem

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicInstallation problems topic started 8/7/2003; 12:22:31 PM
last post 8/7/2003; 2:22:08 PM
userDoug Drinen - Installation problems  blueArrow
8/7/2003; 12:22:31 PM (reads: 941, responses: 3)
I'm not a linux guru by any means, but I was hoping I knew my way around it well enough to get WeBWorK 1.9 installed on our RH9 server.

I almost pulled it off.

I created the demoCourse and I can log into it and do certain tasks (e.g. checking students scores, building problem sets, adding students to the database). But when I try to do the problem sets, I get the following error:

"Can't locate /usr/local/webwork/system/courseScripts/displayMacros.pl in @INC (@INC contains: . /usr/local/webwork/system/lib/ /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl) at /usr/local/webwork/system/cgi/cgi-scripts/welcomeAction.pl line 95. eval {...} called at /usr/local/webwork/system/cgi/cgi-scripts/welcomeAction.pl line 95"

According to my rudimentary understanding of this message, the script welcomeAction.pl is looking for the script displayMacros.pl and can't find it. It looks like it was hoping to find displayMacros.pl in the /usr/local/webwork/system/lib/ directory. DisplayMacros.pl is in the /usr/local/webwork/pg/macros/ directory. Is that where it's supposed to be?

Further, I think I've got bigger problems than this, because the "Do Prolem Set" page does not display any choice of display mode. It should be giving me a choice of html, tth, l2h, and dvipng, shouldn't it? I didn't comment any of those out in the global.pm file.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

Doug

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: Installation problems  blueArrow
8/7/2003; 2:04:24 PM (reads: 1127, responses: 0)
Hi Doug,

Did you run Makelinks.pl in your courseScripts directory?

The choice of display modes comes from displayMacros.pl, so the fact that WeBWorK can't find the file displayMacros.pl is the reason you aren't getting a choice of mode.

John

userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - Re: Installation problems  blueArrow
8/7/2003; 2:15:18 PM (reads: 1159, responses: 0)
Hi Doug,

As John said, run Makelinks.pl in your webwork/system/courseScripts/ directory. There is also a README file in that directory, which explains that the scripts have been moved to the directory webwork/pg/macros/, so that they can be shared with the new WeBWorK2 modperl version. [However, ignore the part in the README about needing to obtain the scripts from the CVS - the scripts are bundled with the 1.9 distribution.]

I would suggest that the installation docs for the 1.9 distribution be revised to make these points clearer.

Zig

userDoug Drinen - Re: Installation problems  blueArrow
8/7/2003; 2:22:08 PM (reads: 1158, responses: 0)
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Worked like a dream.