Forum archive 2000-2006

Mark Schmitt - CVS errors

Mark Schmitt - CVS errors

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicCVS errors topic started 8/9/2003; 11:20:37 AM
last post 9/10/2003; 1:20:23 PM
userMark Schmitt - CVS errors  blueArrow
8/9/2003; 11:20:37 AM (reads: 1910, responses: 5)
I tried to set up the cvs for the WeBWorK system directory (for 1.9 and 2.0), but I'm running into problems.

If I set CVSROOT to :ext:anoncvs@webwork3.math.rochester.edu:/webwork/cvs/system , when I try to execute the command cvs login, I get the following error:

cvs login: can only 'login' command with the 'pserver' method

If I change ext to pserver, I get the password prompt, but after hitting return, the connect is refused.

Any idea what the problem(s) might be?

I'm using cvs version 1.11.1p1 on RedHat 7 and I've also tried it using version 1.11.2 on RedHat 9.

Mark

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: CVS errors  blueArrow
8/10/2003; 11:51:33 PM (reads: 2138, responses: 0)
Hi Mark,

I don't believe that you need to do a cvs login when using the ssh method (i.e. starting with :ext:anon.....). Have you tried just using cvs checkout ?

Another thing to try is to use the cvs -d :ext:anoncvs@webwork3.math.rochester.edu:/webwork/cvs/system checkout webwork

form of the command (see http://webhost.math.rochester.edu/webworkdocs/docs/howto/how_to_use_cvs2)

Make sure the address is to webwork3.math.rochester.edu and not to webwork-db.math.rochester.edu (the old address). Some existing sites may still have pointers to the old address (and for that matter to the old password method of connecting.) You can check the contents of the CVS/Root file in any directory to be sure.

I still have limited access out here in CA, so I can't easily troubleshoot it myself. I'll be back in Rochester (briefly) next week.

--Mike

userLars Jensen - Re: CVS errors  blueArrow
9/9/2003; 5:50:35 PM (reads: 2050, responses: 0)
I get the same error Mark gets when trying to login with the ext method. Has this problem been resolved?

Lars.

userMichael Gage - Re: CVS errors  blueArrow
9/9/2003; 6:08:18 PM (reads: 2054, responses: 0)
Part of the problem is that cvs login is a command that is only used with the pserver connection, not with the ssh connection method. I haven't heard back from Mark, so I don't know if there are additional difficulties or not. Are you getting this error when using other commands other than login?

--Mike

userMark Schmitt - Re: CVS errors  blueArrow
9/10/2003; 6:13:26 AM (reads: 2061, responses: 0)
I was able to use checkout directly.  I've only done so once, but I didn't run into any difficulties on a Linux 9.0 box.

Mark

userLars Jensen - Re: CVS errors  blueArrow
9/10/2003; 1:20:23 PM (reads: 2047, responses: 0)
One problem I had was the permissions on the .ssh/webwork-anoncvs file were wrong after I had downloaded it with wget, as directed. I needed to change its permissions to 600. Then the download worked.

Lars.