Forum archive 2000-2006

Lars Jensen - Cleaning up course

Lars Jensen - Cleaning up course

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicCleaning up course topic started 8/27/2003; 2:18:15 AM
last post 9/4/2003; 1:26:29 PM
userLars Jensen - Cleaning up course  blueArrow
8/27/2003; 2:18:15 AM (reads: 1121, responses: 3)
Is there an easy way to "clean up" a course from the Professors page? Here I mean remove all students w/data from the previous semester, without removing the professor(s). It seems that if I import a new classlist, and check the box to remove old student records, then I also remove the professors...

Lars.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userLars Jensen - Re: Cleaning up course  blueArrow
9/2/2003; 4:00:05 AM (reads: 1295, responses: 0)
Hi All,

Since I had no responses in the first round, let me try again...

As a local site manager, I'd like to have instructors do as much management of their courses as possible, including cleaning out their own courses from the web interface. (On our system, instructors don't even have shell accounts.)

Most instructors would do the above by using the "Import the classlist database from a classlist file" feature on the Professor's Page: The instructor will check the option "Remove the student's records from the classlist database" if a student is in the current classlist database (old roster) but is not in the the selected classlist file (new roster to be imported). This has the (sometimes unintended) effect of also wiping out the professor, unless the professor remembers to include himself/herself on the new classlist ...

How can I have instructors clean out old rosters and replacing them with new rosters without erasing their own professor privileges? Is the only answer to this question that the professor must be included in the new list? Some instructors don't think about this detail.

Wouldn't it be a good suggestion to include a warning before a professor wipes himself/herself out of the course? -Or even better, make it the default not to remove professor(s). These can be removed individually through the web interface anyway.

Lars.

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Cleaning up course  blueArrow
9/3/2003; 10:36:15 PM (reads: 1323, responses: 1)

Hi Lars,

With WeBWorK 1.9 (if I recall correctly), you can not remove a professor by using "Import the classlist database from a classlist file".  If you want to do this, you have to do it from the "Edit the classlist database" and then there are quite a few warnings that hopefuuly people will read.

Basically with WeBWorK 1.9, there are many more safe guards with regard to removing professors (and especially if someone wants to remove their own login).

Arnie

userLars Jensen - Re: Cleaning up course  blueArrow
9/4/2003; 1:26:29 PM (reads: 1598, responses: 0)

Hi Arnie,

Thanks for your answer - I should have tried this in 1.9 before asking.

Lars.