Forum archive 2000-2006

John Jones - Restrictions on set definition names

John Jones - Restrictions on set definition names

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicRestrictions on set definition names topic started 8/28/2003; 2:06:17 PM
last post 9/3/2003; 11:02:09 PM
userJohn Jones - Restrictions on set definition names  blueArrow
8/28/2003; 2:06:17 PM (reads: 1341, responses: 3)
Hi,

Currently, WeBWorK requires set definition files to have names of the form setWORD.def, where WORD can be comprised of letters, digits, and underscores (\w in perl matching).  Is there a reason for disallowing hyphens and periods?  We have had people who wanted both of those in set names.  I can easily change (what appears to be just one line of code), but I want to know if this will lead to forseeable headaches first.

John

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Restrictions on set definition names  blueArrow
8/28/2003; 4:03:42 PM (reads: 1627, responses: 1)
I can't think of one off the top of my head. I would wait until Arnie gets back and get his opinion as well, however. Some of the sorting might be a bit surprising, but I would guess we could live with that.

Can anyone else thing of any reason why extending the form of the set names would cause trouble? --Mike

userThomas Hagedorn - Re: Restrictions on set definition names  blueArrow
8/29/2003; 4:42:36 AM (reads: 1872, responses: 0)
A related question I've had is whether one could reprogram the "Edit Set Definition" window on the "Build/Edit Problem Set" Page to display set Definition files in folders as well as the
files in the main templates folder.   I believe the routine for listing page/screen header files does this already.

We have a number of different SetDefinition file sets and it has quickly become confusing to find the file you want in a big list.  Being able to sort them into folders would be a big help.

-tom

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Restrictions on set definition names  blueArrow
9/3/2003; 11:02:09 PM (reads: 1516, responses: 0)

Hi,

If I recall correctly, TeX had (has?) trouble if anywhere in the full path name to the TeX source file there was a period other than the expected one in the TeX source file "source.tex".  Thus periods were excluded.  To be safe and to be compatible with all file systems, we restricted file names to letters, digits, and underscores.  Off the top of my head I can't think of a good reason not to allow hyphens.

Arnie