Forum archive 2000-2006

John Jones - Problems downloading pdf with explorer

John Jones - Problems downloading pdf with explorer

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicProblems downloading pdf with explorer topic started 8/28/2003; 4:36:29 PM
last post 8/28/2003; 4:36:29 PM
userJohn Jones - Problems downloading pdf with explorer  blueArrow
8/28/2003; 4:36:29 PM (reads: 977, responses: 0)
Hi,

We have discovered that downloading pdf with some versions of explorer does not work. We have a work-around I'll describe below, but I thought it might help others to be aware of this problem.

It seems to be confined to recent versions of explorer when using acrobat as a plug-in to display the pdf in the browser window. When you click to get hard copy, the browser sends off the correct request to WeBWorK. Then, WeBWorK does the right thing in sending the pdf file back, but with this particular combination of browser/plug-in, it sends a second request back to WeBWorK with slightly different information. The end result is that the plug-in doesn't think there is such a pdf file.

One work-around is that after clicking to get pdf, the user is asked if they want to display it or save it to disk. If they save to disk, all is well.

From what I have read on the web, it should also work to configure acrobat to not display the pdf file in the browser, but to display it externally, but I haven't had a chance to try that myself.

So, if you hear reports of students who can't get pdf versions, this may be why.

John

<| Post or View Comments |>