Forum archive 2000-2006

ymarkov - Linux kernel requirements for dvipng?

ymarkov - Linux kernel requirements for dvipng?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicLinux kernel requirements for dvipng? topic started 9/9/2003; 6:35:40 PM
last post 9/10/2003; 2:44:43 AM
userymarkov - Linux kernel requirements for dvipng?  blueArrow
9/9/2003; 6:35:40 PM (reads: 1022, responses: 2)
Thank you for your replies to my previous two messages.

In short, is it know what are the minimum linux kernel requirements to run dvipng-0.6. I have discovered, that our server is running kernel 2.4.2-2 (very old), somewhat contrary to what our system people have mentioned. Since the semester have started at Rutgers, I favor a conservative upgrade to RedHat 7.3, rather than a switch to 9.0. Are there known problems with dvipng on 7.3?

All this is related to the core dumps I have mentioned in the two plevious messages. They are rather regular and often occur first in the course/html/tmp/ directory, and later in the system/cgi/cgi-scrips one. On 3-4 occasions a host of temp files corresponging to a "get hard copy" operation appear practically simultaneously with the core (I include an example at the end of this message). There is a distinction between our first two sets - #1 does not have 2D graphs created on the fly, and #2 does have two of those. It seems that only downloads of the seccond type cause the core dumps (I am still convinced that it is the particular use of png2eps, gif2eps). We have updated the pmntops (netpbm) to version 9-24 which seems to be the latest, but problems persist with both with and without the -nosetpage switch.

Thank you again,

Yavor Markov, Rutgers.

-rw-r--r-- 1 www wwwadm 144 Sep 9 17:42 Temp_downloadAllSets_alexchau.aux

-rw-r--r-- 1 www wwwadm 7148 Sep 9 17:42 Temp_downloadAllSets_alexchau.dvi

-rw-r--r-- 1 www wwwadm 11800 Sep 9 17:42 Temp_downloadAllSets_alexchau.log

-rw-r--r-- 1 www wwwadm 21894 Sep 9 17:43 Temp_downloadAllSets_alexchau.pdf

-rw-r--r-- 1 www wwwadm 519403 Sep 9 17:43 Temp_downloadAllSets_alexchau.ps

-rw-r--r-- 1 www wwwadm 7301 Sep 9 17:42 Temp_downloadAllSets_alexchau.tex

-rw------- 1 www wwwadm 17936384 Sep 9 17:43 /webwork/s1/WWW/webwork/courses/f03m135th/html/tmp/core

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: Linux kernel requirements for dvipng?  blueArrow
9/10/2003; 1:05:04 AM (reads: 1253, responses: 0)
I don't know of a minimal kernel for dvipng.  I doubt it is operating system related.

The location of the core dump and the litter from generating pdf files suggests that the problem is there.  You might take one of these tex files, and run it through the same steps to get pdf to see if something unusual happens.

John

userJan-Åke Larsson - Re: Linux kernel requirements for dvipng?  blueArrow
9/10/2003; 2:44:43 AM (reads: 1245, responses: 0)
I actually _wrote_ dvipng on RedHat 7.3 (and Solaris 8). I now use RedHat 9 since my 7.3 machine had a disk crash, but the code hasn't changed much. I would be very surprised if it crashes because of different kernels, I only use high-level calls.

Besides, it seems that your problem is somewhere else. Note that dvipng has nothing to do with postscript generation. I presume that the WeBWorK people use the normal dvips/gs, or possibly latexpdf or whatnot, to produce hard copies. Making a PNG out of the DVI and converting the PNG to PostScript is not a good route.

Jan-Åke