Forum archive 2000-2006

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - bizarre problem with html background

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - bizarre problem with html background

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicbizarre problem with html background topic started 9/18/2003; 9:24:03 PM
last post 9/19/2003; 12:47:35 PM
userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - bizarre problem with html background  blueArrow
9/18/2003; 9:24:03 PM (reads: 1395, responses: 5)

<p>We've just installed WeBWorK 1.9 on a brand new server running RedHat 9.0.  We are running into the following bizarre problem: The line in welcomeAction.pl and processProblem8.pl

<pre>

require "${courseScriptsDirectory}PG_module_list.pl" or
   wwerror($0, "Can't read ${courseScriptsDirectory}PG_module_list.pl");
</pre>

<p>causes $Global::background_plain_url to change from "../white.gif" to "../red.gif" and $Global::bg_color to change from "#FFFFFF" (white) to "#FF99CC" (pink). Consequently the background of each problem set listing is red and the background of each problem page is pink.  There is no error page displayed, no compiler warnings, and no error messages in the httpd log. The simple kludge of resetting these global variables after this line seems to cure the problem, but I'd like to understand what the heck is going on!

<p>Thanks,

<p>Zig

<| Post or View Comments |>

userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - Re: bizarre problem with html background  blueArrow
9/18/2003; 10:04:05 PM (reads: 1602, responses: 0)

After looking into this further it looks like this is triggered by

$SIG{__WARN__}=&PG_warnings_handler;

in Global.pm.  But why?  There aren't any warning messages.

Zig

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: bizarre problem with html background  blueArrow
9/18/2003; 10:23:59 PM (reads: 1615, responses: 0)

Hi Zig,

I don't know what the problem is, but WeBWorK 1.9 does not have this problem in general under ReD Hat 9.0.  My guess is that there is some error in the configuration of your course or with the user you are logging in with.  Check WeBWorK's and Apache's error logs which might give you a hint as to what the problem is.

Arnie

9/18/2003; 10:41:00 PM (reads: 1590, responses: 0)

Hi Arnie,

There are no error messages in either the httpd error log nor in the WeBWorK error log.  In fact the way I narrowed down to the offending line was by outputting homebrewed  print STDERR messages from welcomeAction.pl and processProblem8.pl and checking the httpd error logs.

Zig

userJohn Jones - Re: bizarre problem with html background  blueArrow
9/18/2003; 11:49:35 PM (reads: 1584, responses: 0)
I am sure you checked this, but have you looked at the permissions for PG_module_list.pl?  If I am not mistaken, it is now a link from the courseScripts directory to the actual file.  Maybe look at the permissions on the link, that it points to the real file, and the permissions on the real file.

John

9/19/2003; 12:47:35 PM (reads: 1605, responses: 0)
False alarm. This was caused by dvipng and/or preview-latex.sty not being properly installed. I didn't notice it at first, since I was only viewing pages with cached png images. Afterwards I figured out what was wrong and reinatalling dvipng/preview-latex.sty fixed the problem.

Sorry for the bother.

Zig