Forum archive 2000-2006

Bill Ziemer - how to fix student hw seeds/answers

Bill Ziemer - how to fix student hw seeds/answers

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopichow to fix student hw seeds/answers topic started 2/19/2004; 9:27:08 PM
last post 2/19/2004; 11:21:51 PM
userBill Ziemer - how to fix student hw seeds/answers  blueArrow
2/19/2004; 9:27:08 PM (reads: 881, responses: 2)
I got this from one of the instructors, and don't know what to say offhand:

I run into a little glitch yesterday. I know one way to fix it, but there should be a better one. Here is what happened.

I added the student below. At the time I didn't pay attention to the due date of Hmwks. She told me about it. I change them to the correct ones, but since she also got the solutions, I tried to change the numbers in the problems. Well, I thought that this would be achieved by changing the Seed Number. But it quite does not. It does change the numbers, but it does not change the solutions, so your correct answers to the problems in the screen are reported as wrong because they are compares with the answer to the old problems.

Of course I don't remember the old seed numbers. I tried to find a feature that would allow me to rebuild a problem set for a single student, but I haven't. The only idea I have for fixing it is to remove the student altogether and add hes back again. Is there a better way?

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: how to fix student hw seeds/answers  blueArrow
2/19/2004; 11:14:09 PM (reads: 1071, responses: 0)
Changing the seed should change the solutions as well. I suspect that you are seeing a caching phenomenon, either of the browser or of Latex2HTML or dvipng (depending on the version). You can check this by using tth mode (formatted text) and see if the answers correspond to the problems now.

If that is indeed the problem then, using shift reload on the browser will get rid of pictures cached by the browser. If it's a problem of caching server-side with latex2html, you can find the directory of all the .png files made for a particular psvn and delete it. latex2html will recreate it. I think you can do this with earlier versions of dvipng as well. The most recent version of WW1.9 uses a cache labeling scheme that is supposed to prevent this caching problem from happening since the label of the .png file reflects its actual contents.

Hope this helps.

--Mike

userJohn Jones - Re: how to fix student hw seeds/answers  blueArrow
2/19/2004; 11:21:51 PM (reads: 1101, responses: 0)
Could this be the browser showing its cached copies of images
containing the old numbers?

John