Forum archive 2000-2006

Michael Gage - Comments on WeBWorK 2.0 demos

Michael Gage - Comments on WeBWorK 2.0 demos

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicComments on WeBWorK 2.0 demos topic started 7/10/2004; 12:23:35 PM
last post 7/14/2004; 1:40:08 AM
userMichael Gage - Comments on WeBWorK 2.0 demos  blueArrow
7/10/2004; 12:23:35 PM (reads: 2439, responses: 3)
WeBWorK 2.0 is very close to being released as a tarball. Meantime, as we write up the installation instructions, there are 16 WeBWorK2 demo courses located at

http://webwork2.math.rochester.edu/webwork2/ ( choose one of maa101, maa102,.... or maa116 )

for you to try out.

Here is a direct link to the first demo course:

http://webwork2.math.rochester.edu/webwork2/maa101

The login practice1 (password practice1) has professor permissions that allow you to add students, to create new homework sets and to assign them to students. practice2 (password practice2) through practice6 have student permissions.

You can add students and create new sets, but please do not delete students or sets which you have not added yourself.

The contents of these courses will be reset periodically, so DO NOT depend on anything in the courses being preserved. Copy and ave anything important immediately to your own computer.

You can report bugs using the "Report bugs" link in the left hand corner.

There is (incomplete) help available on each page under the question mark.

We are also starting a FAQ list on the WeBWorK Wiki site: http://devel.webwork.rochester.edu/twiki/bin/view/Webwork/WebHome?topic=WeBWorKFAQs

You can post comments in reply to this message.

Enjoy. --Mike Gage

<| Post or View Comments |>

userThomas Hagedorn - Re: Comments on WeBWorK 2.0 demos  blueArrow
7/13/2004; 10:12:51 PM (reads: 2194, responses: 0)
Mike,

The courses look good. I was playing around with editing the problem sets and was wondering how you can add problems to a set once it is created.

For example, if setdemo has 10 problems, I can delete problems and change one problem to another, but I don't see how I can add an 11th problem to the set.

Thanks, Tom

userMichael Gage - Re: Comments on WeBWorK 2.0 demos  blueArrow
7/13/2004; 11:12:25 PM (reads: 2162, responses: 1)
Hi Tom,

Use the Library browser to add new problems to a set. The browser allows you to specify a "current" set and add new problems to the set from the library. The problems can be in the database library, in the local problems library -- formerly the templates directory-- or problems in some other homework set for the current course.

You can create completely new problems by adding an existing problem, and then editing it and using "save as" to give it a new problem name. You can even specify a directory, for example save as set0/prob11.pg. Finally these local problems can be uploaded or downloaded using the File transfer page.

Perhaps we should add a direct link from the "problem editing page" to the library browser page in order to make their connected functions clearer. In any case, using the links on the left side the two functions (editing and adding) are only one click away from each other.

Hope this helps. We'll add some of these comments to the "problem editing help page". Thanks for your time in looking through the maa101 sets and thanks for your comments.

-- Mike

userThomas Hagedorn - Re: Comments on WeBWorK 2.0 demos  blueArrow
7/14/2004; 1:40:08 AM (reads: 2603, responses: 0)
Thanks Mike,

I understand it now. I would encourage you to put a link on the

"Edit Set"

entitled "Want to Add a Problem" that would send you to the Library Browser, at which point one can see how to add a problem.

-Tom