Forum archive 2000-2006

Ben Pollina - New versions of problem sets in WW2

Ben Pollina - New versions of problem sets in WW2

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicNew versions of problem sets in WW2 topic started 8/25/2004; 1:30:55 PM
last post 8/25/2004; 3:30:42 PM
userBen Pollina - New versions of problem sets in WW2  blueArrow
8/25/2004; 1:30:55 PM (reads: 817, responses: 1)
I sometimes like to give selected students the opportunity to redo a problem set after its due date. It looks like I can use the User Assigned to Set page to generate new versions of a problem set by unchecking a subgroup of students, saving, rechecking those students and saving again. This seems to leave the problem set for all the other students unchanged.

I would like to then set the open,due and answer dates for this subgroup of students in one operation without changing these dates for all the other students. Can this be done?

Ben Pollina

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: New versions of problem sets in WW2  blueArrow
8/25/2004; 3:30:42 PM (reads: 1073, responses: 0)
Currently, no. I have cooked up something similar in our installation for other reasons, so I think it would be reasonable to incorporate this feature into webwork. The feature would be to modify set information for several students at once. The information you could modify would be the stuff which applies to the class as a whole, but changes would override the individual values for those students. We would use this to override the due dates at once for students in a particular section, but the same feature would work for what you want.

If you follow the process you describe above, you loose the scoring information on those students from the first time around. If you don't want to do that, or as a work-around, you could clone the set to a new name ("setWhatever-corrections"), and assign it to just the students you want. Then the global due dates for the new copy of the set will apply to just those to whom it is assigned.

You should be able to clone a set in a couple of ways.

1. If it came from a set definition file, import it under a new name.
  2. If not, you can export it, then import it under a new name.
  3. Or, in the Library browser you can make a new set, show all the problems from the existing one, select all and add them to the new set. This is fastest if you keep the display mode to none and choose to show all problems from the existing set at once.

John

<| Post or View Comments |>