Forum archive 2000-2006

Bill Ziemer - user dropped from course

Bill Ziemer - user dropped from course

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicuser dropped from course topic started 8/30/2004; 5:14:54 PM
last post 8/30/2004; 9:47:48 PM
userBill Ziemer - user dropped from course  blueArrow
8/30/2004; 5:14:54 PM (reads: 1053, responses: 4)
every student in my new course shows as enrolled in the classlist, but gets the message:
The user blah has been dropped from this course.
But the admin and the instructor can both login successfully. What am I missing?

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: user dropped from course  blueArrow
8/30/2004; 5:43:45 PM (reads: 1242, responses: 0)
In the classlist editor, what is the enrolled/drop field say? Could the spreadsheet you imported from have had the wrong value in that column?

John

userBill Ziemer - Re: user dropped from course  blueArrow
8/30/2004; 6:01:32 PM (reads: 1276, responses: 0)
enrolled.
Only difference between the class and the instructor was how they were added. The instructor via the add class dialog, and the class via import list file.
In the users table, under status, the students all had status "c". I changed it to "C" using mysql (update user set status = "C";) and everything is fine now.
What made it so strange was that all the student functionality was fine when accessing their account via instructor. The only problem was that they could not login.

userLars Jensen - Re: user dropped from course  blueArrow
8/30/2004; 7:48:53 PM (reads: 1246, responses: 0)
Hi Bill,

We can confirm this behavior for gdbm. If the Status field is empty, webwork2's assumption is that they have been dropped.

Lars.

userDavid K. Watson - Re: user dropped from course  blueArrow
8/30/2004; 9:47:48 PM (reads: 1238, responses: 0)
I was going to report on this myself. Apparently the login function has different standards from the internals of the program.

What worked for me was to go to the class list editor page, edit all users, and save the changes (without actually making any changes manually). If their status column was blank before, it now appears with a C in it, and the student can log in.