Forum archive 2000-2006

emersonb@m... - LaTeX code in Problem Set 0

emersonb@m... - LaTeX code in Problem Set 0

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicLaTeX code in Problem Set 0 topic started 8/31/2004; 3:55:25 PM
last post 9/8/2004; 8:14:22 PM
useremersonb@m... - LaTeX code in Problem Set 0  blueArrow
8/31/2004; 3:55:25 PM (reads: 1940, responses: 7)
We're trying to get started with webwork this semester. We're now finding latex code in the problems from problem set 0. Any solutions on how to fix this?

Bill Emerson Metropolitan State College of Denver

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: LaTeX code in Problem Set 0  blueArrow
8/31/2004; 5:01:32 PM (reads: 2286, responses: 0)
It is probably coming from one of the header files. (The header files can be separate, so that hardcopy is coded in pure TeX and the screen header is pure HTML. You can also write the header files as if they were a .pg problem which means they will work in both modes. That is my personal preference since it means I only have to update information in one place.

First take a look at the problems (use the Hmwk set editor, and click in the column labeled problems -- there are usually 7 problems in set 0). You have have accidentally included one of the header files in the problem set. You can delete it from this page which lists the problems.

Secondly from the "Hmwk set editor" check that the "set header" (for HTML output) is set0/screenHeaderFile0.pg and that the "hardcopy header" (for TeX output) is set0/paperHeaderFile0.pg

You can also edit this entry for set 0 (check the box and choose edit set from above). This allows to choose a new set header. The default setting is a copy of setHeader.pg which is stored in webwork2/conf/snippets/setHeader.pg. In order to be able to clone this file, I make a copy of it the templates directory and then use the pop up buttons to select it and customize it for a particular problem.

You can look at this example to see how it should look. (Use practice1 as login and password.)

for an example

useremersonb@m... - Re: LaTeX code in Problem Set 0  blueArrow
9/1/2004; 2:19:56 PM (reads: 2250, responses: 0)
We've checked the files and the screen header and paper header seem to be okay. The problem files do not have any header information in them. We're using version 1.9 and not version 2.0. We're also using, unedited, the set0 material that came with version 1.9. We have made no changes in any of the files or folders.

Thanks for your help! We're a couple of genuine rookies here.

userJohn Jones - Re: LaTeX code in Problem Set 0  blueArrow
9/1/2004; 4:12:53 PM (reads: 2216, responses: 0)
One possibility is that there is a problem with the dvipng image production, or a configuration problem so that the path to the images is not working. The ALT-tag for each image is the underlying latex code, so some browsers will show the alt tag when it cannot get the image.

If you can, view the html source for the page which is showing the latex code (some, but not all, browsers will let you do that). You can then see in the problem (which is near the bottom) whether there are img tags for the images. If so, you can also try to load the images directly (putting the location of the image in the location bar of the browser) to see if it comes up, and see if the image really exists on disk.

John

userMichael Gage - Re: LaTeX code in Problem Set 0  blueArrow
9/1/2004; 11:23:06 PM (reads: 2204, responses: 0)
One other test: Change the viewing options (lower left corner)

jsMath and the "formatted text" versions may look different or may give different error messages which will help us diagognose the problem.

If you give me a url I can take a look at it. (You can email it to me at gage@math.rochester.edu

--Mike

useremersonb@m... - Re: LaTeX code in Problem Set 0  blueArrow
9/8/2004; 1:58:06 PM (reads: 2242, responses: 0)
Changing from text to formatted text took care of the problem. Is there any way to set this as the default?

userJohn Jones - Re: LaTeX code in Problem Set 0  blueArrow
9/8/2004; 3:10:17 PM (reads: 2185, responses: 0)
In global.conf if you want it to be the default for the whole system. This can be overridden in course.conf if you want a course to have a special default.

You may still want to sort out why you are having image creation problems. Some things will look worse in formatted text than they do as images.

John

userDavide P. Cervone - Re: LaTeX code in Problem Set 0  blueArrow
9/8/2004; 8:14:22 PM (reads: 2210, responses: 0)
I note that you say "changing from TEXT to formatted text takes care of this" (emphasis mine), so that would certainly explain why you are getting TeX commands on screen. Text mode does not handle the TeX commands, and they show up in the output. Not many problems are written to work well with this mode. (Because of this, I've removed it from the list of available modes on our site.)

You might want to consider using Image mode rather than formatted text as your default, as the results are usually superior to formatted text. (It will look best if you enable the baseline database -- see the comments in global.conf).