Forum archive 2000-2006

Ben Pollina - Puzzling hardcopy error

Ben Pollina - Puzzling hardcopy error

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicPuzzling hardcopy error topic started 9/10/2004; 12:28:54 AM
last post 9/15/2004; 1:06:31 PM
userBen Pollina - Puzzling hardcopy error  blueArrow
9/10/2004; 12:28:54 AM (reads: 1804, responses: 9)
Two of our students have encountered the following error when trying to print a problem set. They get the following error message on the Hardcopy generator page.

You are not permitted to generate hardcopy for other users.

However, when I login as each of the students using their name and password, WeBWorK successfully prints their problem sets.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Ben Pollina

<| Post or View Comments |>

userThomas Hagedorn - Re: Puzzling hardcopy error  blueArrow
9/13/2004; 1:08:17 PM (reads: 2018, responses: 0)
I've also been getting reports from students that they only get a blank screen when they try to get a hardcopy. When I've tried it with them, it works fine (in their accounts). They are going to report back to me if it happens again. Either they didn't do something right (any ideas?) or something might not work correctly someimes.

-Tom

ps. We are running Webwork 2.01

userMichael Gage - Re: Puzzling hardcopy error  blueArrow
9/13/2004; 3:44:26 PM (reads: 2015, responses: 1)
Do their machines have a pdf reader such as acrobat or (on macs) preview? Is their browser set up to pass .pdf files off to these helper applications?

.pdf files are sufficiently common these days that most machines have acrobat reader installed and have a browser that will call acrobat reader when it tries to read a pdf file. However their may still be platform/browser combinations which are not configured this way by default. Ask the students what platform and browser they are using and make sure that they can read standard pdf files with this combination.

Their could be other difficulties, but this is the one I would check out first since you can download their .pdf files from WeBWorK.

-- Mike

userDavid Gilliam - Re: Puzzling hardcopy error  blueArrow
9/14/2004; 7:03:33 AM (reads: 2244, responses: 0)
As it turns out I am also having the same problem with many students. Even in my office using my machine, when we log in as the student and try to generate a hard copy of homework the result is

At first I thought the same as Mike Gage (they were not configured properly to deal with pdf) but that is not the issue. It is something involving webwork 2.

At this point I have been emailing problem sets to students and it seems there are several in each class.

David Gilliam

9/14/2004; 7:48:57 AM (reads: 2003, responses: 0)

This message would appear if a student tries to download hardcopies for multiple students. Is that what is happening? David and Ben's experience actually sounds like a different phenomenon from Tom's.

So far I have not been able to reproduce any of this on courses at Rochester. I'll need more details. If you can provide the full url that causes this message, that might help.

An excellent way to report this is through the "bug reports" link on each page of WW2

userBen Pollina - Re: Puzzling hardcopy error  blueArrow
9/14/2004; 6:31:08 PM (reads: 1985, responses: 0)
Mike,

It's hard to say what is going on because I've not actually experienced the error. One of my students printed out the web page with the error message on it. It's the hard copy generator page, and it contains only the problem set list, not the user list that professors get, so I don't see how there could be an attempt to download for multiple students.

Ben

9/14/2004; 8:59:35 PM (reads: 1980, responses: 1)
See if you can get a copy of the url on such an example. I can force this to happen by playing games with the query string in the url. Perhaps some subroutine is issuing an incorrect url. So far I haven't seen this happen here or on the hosted.webwork machine.

-- Mike

userDavid Gilliam - Re: Puzzling hardcopy error  blueArrow
9/15/2004; 12:10:45 PM (reads: 2246, responses: 0)
I have managed to resolve the problem with students getting hard copy, at least at TTU.

It turns out that if a student has a login name

Jones

it is possible for them to login with

jones

They can do homework, etc but they cannot download and print hard copy of homeworks.

I was about to go crazy with this but now it is all settled. I checked every student in one class and this was the problem in every case.

I hope this also helps the others with this problem

Dave Gilliam

userBen Pollina - Re: Puzzling hardcopy error  blueArrow
9/15/2004; 12:46:57 PM (reads: 1943, responses: 0)
Dave,

THANK YOU. This is exactly what happened here as well.

Ben

9/15/2004; 1:06:31 PM (reads: 1953, responses: 0)
Thanks very much. I've filed this as a bug report. It should be rectified in a future release of WeBWorK.