Forum archive 2000-2006

emersonb@m... - one course, different assignments, dates, etc.

emersonb@m... - one course, different assignments, dates, etc.

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicone course, different assignments, dates, etc. topic started 7/13/2005; 5:31:15 PM
last post 7/13/2005; 5:46:16 PM
useremersonb@m... - one course, different assignments, dates, etc.  blueArrow
7/13/2005; 5:31:15 PM (reads: 618, responses: 1)
We have about 7 sections of Calculus I, each taught by a very independent full-time faculty member. So far, I have been the only person using WeBWork, but others have also expressed an interest in experimenting with it. However, each faculty member would want to choose their own problems and have their own opening and closing dates. It seems that each faculty member should have their own course rather than having just one course for Calculus I with seven sections. Or am I missing something?

Sorry if I have missed something obvious, but my searching was unsuccessful.

Thanks!

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: one course, different assignments, dates, etc.  blueArrow
7/13/2005; 5:46:16 PM (reads: 817, responses: 0)
The best method in your case is to have one course for each instructor. e.g. calc1a, calc1b, etc. or use the instructors' last names to differentiate the calculus courses.

You can construct each course in such a way that it has a link to a common library: e.g. on our hosted.webwork.rochester.edu all courses have a link

courseName/templates/rochesterLibrary ----> /webwork/rochester_problib

This way each instructor can choose problems from a common library. (you can have more than one library.) If they want to modify one of the library problems they can make a local copy in their courseName/templates directory and then modify that.

<| Post or View Comments |>