Forum archive 2000-2006

Šarūnas Burdulis - Dropped students still are being emailed

Šarūnas Burdulis - Dropped students still are being emailed

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicDropped students still are being emailed topic started 9/26/2005; 3:09:09 PM
last post 9/28/2005; 2:29:14 PM
userarūnas Burdulis - Dropped students still are being emailed  blueArrow
9/26/2005; 3:09:09 PM (reads: 413, responses: 4)
Hello,

We have several students who dropped from the course (status "D" in the class list), but they still keep receiving e-mails from WW. Are there any config options that I'm missing here?

Thanks, Sarunas

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Dropped students still are being emailed  blueArrow
9/26/2005; 6:23:18 PM (reads: 486, responses: 0)
I thought I had this experience also in my class, but when I tried to duplicate the problem I couldn't. I'll try again a little harder and see if I can find this error in the current CVS code.

-- Mike

9/26/2005; 7:24:26 PM (reads: 484, responses: 0)
Ok -- I've done the tests.

If you select the radio button "All students in the course" and send mail those students who are listed as "dropped" will not receive the email.

If you select the radio button "selected students" and select all the students in the pop-up menu then all the selected students, including dropped students will receive the email.

This is what I expect and what I would want. If you explicitly select a student they will be sent email whether or not they have been dropped from the course.

I'm working with SendMail.pm version 1.42. Send mail is fairly independent there is a reasonable chance that you can upgrade that without having to upgrade everything else. (Perhaps ContentGenerator.pm might have to be upgraded, but I'm not sure of that.)

This is the version of WeBWorK currently running on hosted.webwork.rochester.edu. You can see how it works by looking at the maa101 course.

-- Mike

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Dropped students still are being emailed  blueArrow
9/27/2005; 9:24:42 PM (reads: 484, responses: 0)
Hi,

I understand the logic but I think this is confusing and difficult to use. It's difficult since for example if I want to send email to all active students in my section I can list all students (active and drops) in my section and then select them but I have no way of telling which are active and which have dropped (and even if I could I would not want to go through a hundred students to separate out the drops). It's confusing since most people will assume selecting all students is the same as selecting the radio button "All students in the course".

Since you almost never want to send a mass emailing to dropped students, I would prefer that dropped students not be listed at all. If they are, then there should be a check box ("Don't send email to dropped students"). It should be checked by default and it should apply equally to the radio button "All students in the course" and to students selected by hand.

If you want to send individual email to dropped (or active) students you can do this from the classlist page (an addition I just made) or from the student progress page. The classlist page also tells you which students have dropped.

Arnie

9/28/2005; 2:29:14 PM (reads: 484, responses: 0)
Arnie's comments make sense to me. Unless there are objections I'll implement his suggestions. Here's what the planned new behavior will be:

Students who have dropped will not show up on the email page at all. No dropped students will be included in any mailings from the email page.

Does anyone see down sides to this? Any objections to changing the behavior of the email page to this?

-- Mike