Forum archive 2000-2006

Blake Thornton - Hardcopy image problems -- netpbm?

Blake Thornton - Hardcopy image problems -- netpbm?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicHardcopy image problems -- netpbm? topic started 9/27/2005; 2:53:05 PM
last post 9/28/2005; 1:51:08 PM
userBlake Thornton - Hardcopy image problems -- netpbm?  blueArrow
9/27/2005; 2:53:05 PM (reads: 368, responses: 3)
I am having netpbm problems. I can see gif files fine in html mode, but not in pdf/hardcopy mode. If I run giftopnm I get an error:

giftopnm: error while loading shared libraries: libnetpbm.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But I have netpbm installed:

$ rpm -q netpbm
netpbm-9.24-11.30.2

Any thoughts would be helpful! I did find a remark in the archives that webwork might be given the wrong path for netpbm, but I don't know where that would be either.

Thanks, Blake

<| Post or View Comments |>

userDavide P. Cervone - Re: Hardcopy image problems -- netpbm?  blueArrow
9/27/2005; 5:30:29 PM (reads: 433, responses: 0)
It doesn't look like a webwork-specific problem. The error message is complaining about a library that the giftopnm command is linked to. Apparently it was linked against libnetpbm.so.10, but that file is no longer available. You should check to see that it is in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib or the other locations for libraries on your system. If it is not there, that is the problem. Perhaps it has been accidentally erased or moved? Or someone updated the library and didn't keep the old version?

Anyway, I think the first thing to check is see if you can find libnetpbm.so.10 in any of the usual places.

Davide

userBill Ziemer - Re: Hardcopy image problems -- netpbm?  blueArrow
9/28/2005; 1:16:59 PM (reads: 434, responses: 0)
>Any thoughts would be helpful! I did find a remark in the archives that webwork might be
>given the wrong path for netpbm, but I don't know where that would be either.

There are two places that NETPBM has to be set:
webwork2/conf/global.conf
and the three files in webwork2/bin: gif2png, gif2eps, png2eps. These files are not used in the current cvs version of webwork, but are used in the "rel-2-1-patches" update for pg and webwork2.

userBlake Thornton - Re: Hardcopy image problems -- netpbm?  blueArrow
9/28/2005; 1:51:08 PM (reads: 428, responses: 0)
This is helpful, I will see if I can get to the bottom of the problem, thanks!

Blake