Forum archive 2000-2006

Thomas Hagedorn - Conditional Multi-Part Problems?

Thomas Hagedorn - Conditional Multi-Part Problems?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicConditional Multi-Part Problems? topic started 10/18/2005; 12:03:33 AM
last post 10/19/2005; 9:09:19 PM
userThomas Hagedorn - Conditional Multi-Part Problems?  blueArrow
10/18/2005; 12:03:33 AM (reads: 451, responses: 2)
I'm trying to write a problem which starts off with a true/false question. Whether the answer is true or false depends on the random seed for the problem.

Now if the answer is true, I would like students to have to answer a second question, while if the answer is false, I would like students to have to answer a different second question.

Presently, I have the true/false question as well as both second questions displayed on the screen, which seems fine. The problem is with the answer evaluator. I would like the answer evaluator to evaluate only the answer to the second question which corresponds to the answer entered for the first question. Currently, the answer evaluator must evaluate the answers for both of the possible second questions.

Is there an example in the Webwork library that would serve as a model for the problem I'd like to write? If not, can this be implemented using some of the newer Webwork answer evaluators like Parser.pl?

Thanks in advance, Tom

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Conditional Multi-Part Problems?  blueArrow
10/18/2005; 1:49:46 PM (reads: 572, responses: 0)
Take a look at the sequential problems at

http://webhost.math.rochester.edu/webworkdocs/ww/listLib?command=listSet&library=rochesterLibrary&set=setSequentialProblems

This allows the second part of the problem to remain hidden until the first part has been answered correctly.

When you get to the second part you display one question or the other depending on what the correct answer to the first question was.

I think this will let you do what you want.

Ken Appel at New Hampshire has done a lot with sequential problems of this type.

You will want to grab the macro file PGsequentialmacros.pl from the CVS if you don't already have it.

-- Mike

userDavide P. Cervone - Re: Conditional Multi-Part Problems?  blueArrow
10/19/2005; 9:09:19 PM (reads: 545, responses: 0)
You can use the MultiPart object to do this, but it is a little awkward. Here is one approach:

DOCUMENT();        # This should be the first executable line in the problem.

loadMacros(
"PG.pl",
"PGbasicmacros.pl",
"PGanswermacros.pl",
"PGunion.pl",
"Parser.pl",
"parserMultiPart.pl",
);

TEXT(beginproblem);
BEGIN_PROBLEM();

Context("Numeric")->strings->are(True=>{}, False=>{});

$mp = MultiPart(random(0,1,1)? ("True",5,""): ("False","",10))->with(
allowBlankAnswers => 1,
checkTypes => 0,
checker => sub {
my ($correct,$student) = @_;
my ($tf,$a,$b) = @{$correct};
my ($TF,$A,$B) = @{$student};

return 0 unless $TF->type eq "String" && $TF->value ne '';
$mp->setMessage(3,"When your first answer is 'True' you shouldn't answer this one")
if ($TF->value eq 'True' && $B ne '');
$mp->setMessage(2,"When your first answer is 'False' you shouldn't answer this one")
if ($TF->value eq 'False' && $A ne '');

return $tf eq $TF && $a == $A && $b == $B;
}
);

##############################################

BEGIN_TEXT
True or false? \{$mp->ans_rule(5)\}
$PAR
If true, then \(x =\) {$mp->ans_rule(10)\}
$PAR
If false, then \(y = \) \{$mp->ans_rule(10)\}
END_TEXT

ANS($mp->cmp);

END_PROBLEM();
ENDDOCUMENT(); # This should be the last executable line in the problem.

The MultiPart object has three parts: the TRUE/FALSE question determines which of the two other values must be filled out. We set the allowBlankAnswers field so that the student can leave those blank, and we set the checkTypes field to 0 so that the checker will run even when the student's answers are of the wrong type (e.g., the empty string when the answer is a real).

The checker get the student and correct answers and checks to see that the T/F answer is actually a string (it will have to be one of the valid strings in that case). It also checks if the student has entered an answer in the boxes that should be left blank and gives a message if so.

Then it marks all the answers correct or incorrect depending on whether the student answers match the professor's answers.

Really the only advantage to this over using three separate checkers is that you can inform the student that the blank problem should be left blank if it isn't, and that you give credit only when all three are correct (though you could have done that with the grader anyway). Not sure if this is really what you were looking for or not.

For a T/F problem like this, it would be nice to be able to use a pop-up menu rather than a text string, but the Multipart object only accepts Parser object as its inputs. So I have made a Value object that is a shell around a pop-up menu so that you can use it in this sort of situation. In that case, you can leave off the strings from the Context (since the parser popup menu handles that itself), and replace "True" and "False" by PopUp(["True","False"],"True") and PopUp(["True","False"],"False"). You also have to load the parserPopUp.pl macro file. That makes the modified example:

DOCUMENT();        # This should be the first executable line in the problem.

loadMacros(
"PG.pl",
"PGbasicmacros.pl",
"PGanswermacros.pl",
"Parser.pl",
"parserMultiPart.pl",
"parserPopUp.pl",
);

TEXT(beginproblem);
BEGIN_PROBLEM();

Context("Numeric");

$mp = MultiPart(
random(0,1,1)?
(PopUp(["True","False"],"True"),5,""):
(PopUp(["True","False"],"False"),"",10)
)->with(
allowBlankAnswers => 1,
checkTypes => 0,
checker => sub {
my ($correct,$student) = @_;
my ($tf,$a,$b) = @{$correct};
my ($TF,$A,$B) = @{$student};

return 0 unless $TF->type eq "String" && $TF->value ne '';
$mp->setMessage(3,"When your first answer is 'True' you shouldn't answer this one")
if ($TF->value eq 'True' && $B ne '');
$mp->setMessage(2,"When your first answer is 'False' you shouldn't answer this one")
if ($TF->value eq 'False' && $A ne '');

return $tf eq $TF && $a == $A && $b == $B;
}
);

BEGIN_TEXT
True or false? \{$mp->ans_rule(5)\}
$PAR
If true, then \(x =\) \{$mp->ans_rule(10)\}
$PAR
If false, then \(y = \) \{$mp->ans_rule(10)\}
END_TEXT

ANS($mp->cmp);

END_PROBLEM();
ENDDOCUMENT(); # This should be the last executable line in the problem.

Hope that is what you are looking for.

Davide