Forum archive 2000-2006

christelle scharff - Questions - Being a WeBWorK Professor

christelle scharff - Questions - Being a WeBWorK Professor

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicQuestions - Being a WeBWorK Professor topic started 2/19/2006; 9:41:26 PM
last post 2/19/2006; 10:27:36 PM
userchristelle scharff - Questions - Being a WeBWorK Professor  blueArrow
2/19/2006; 9:41:26 PM (reads: 470, responses: 1)
Hi, Some more questions w.r.t. the WeBWorK professor perspective. I am preparing a tutorial for a workshop we are organizing at SIGCSE and that I advertise on the list. I will share it once it is finished.

Problem Set Type:

I noticed that in WeBWorK 2 you can specify the type of the assignment: homework, gateway/quiz, proctored gateway/quiz. There are parameters for a gateway/quiz such as: attempts per version (untested for >1), time interval for new versions (sec), number of new versiosn per time interval (0=infty). Can someone explain these parameters?

Library Browser:

If I click on Problem Library, I got : "This library has not been installed". Is it normal or not? I have libraries from Rochester, Union... installed.

I created some problems and I would like to have them added in the Local Library. How can I do that?

Scoring:

I do not understand scoring. It is interesting that a cvs file is generated but can we score as many times as we want? and what is it useful for?

Export in HWs Sets Editor:

What does Export of HWs Sets Editor do?

Admin Perspective:

What do "export database" and "import database"? and what is a database in this case?

Thanks in advance,

Christelle

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: Questions - Being a WeBWorK Professor  blueArrow
2/19/2006; 10:27:36 PM (reads: 567, responses: 0)
Hi,

Library Browser:

If I click on Problem Library, I got : "This library has not been installed". Is it normal or not? I have libraries from Rochester, Union... installed.

The Problem library button is for a collection of problems indexed in a mysql database. If you haven't installed that collection, then the response is normal.

There are several steps to installing the problem library. From Rochester's cvs you should go to the Arizona State University problems, and there is a directory of problems called database_problems. It contains the problems and installation instructions.

There is a separate process for libraries from Rochester, Union, etc. You can just have them appear under Local Problems by linking to their directories in a course's templates directory, or you can have extra buttons appear for them by configuring it in global.conf.

I created some problems and I would like to have them added in the Local Library. How can I do that?

Put them in the templates directory, or a subdirectory of that, or in another directory and make a symbolic link to it from inside the course templates directory.

John

<| Post or View Comments |>