Forum archive 2000-2006

Fred Kass - Adding Problem Libraries

Fred Kass - Adding Problem Libraries

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicAdding Problem Libraries topic started 2/23/2006; 4:30:23 PM
last post 2/23/2006; 5:03:24 PM
userFred Kass - Adding Problem Libraries  blueArrow
2/23/2006; 4:30:23 PM (reads: 414, responses: 1)
I"ve just installed WebWork2 and things seem to be running ok for the software itself. However I am trying to add problem sets. Following this page:

I couldn't get the CVS to work following:

I got: cvs login Logging in to CVS password: cvs [login aborted]: connect to failed: Connection refused

Thats ok, because I found the tarballs at:

So, I then went into the templates directory of a course and symlinked to the directory of an Problem Library untared. Now the course shows the problem library as local problems. But when I select one I get the following error:

WeBWorK Error

WeBWorK has encountered a software error while attempting to process this problem. It is likely that there is an error in the problem itself. If you are a student, report this error message to your professor to have it corrected. If you are a professor, please consult the error output below for more information. Error messages

Can't use an undefined value as a HASH reference at line 530 of [PG]/macros/ Died within main::ENDDOCUMENT called at line 29 of [TMPL]/rochester_grade8problems/set0/ Error details

Problem1 ERROR caught by Translator while processing problem file:rochester_grade8problems/set0/ * Can't use an undefined value as a HASH reference at line 530 of [PG]/macros/ Died within main::ENDDOCUMENT called at line 29 of [TMPL]/rochester_grade8problems/set0/


I seem to get the same error for a bunch of ProblemLibraries so I asusme I've done something wrong in the install process maybe by not linking or setting an enviroment somewhere?

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Adding Problem Libraries  blueArrow
2/23/2006; 5:03:24 PM (reads: 581, responses: 0)
I'll have to fix that webpage this weekend. In contains instructions for the old cvs, the new cvs (on a different machine) can be reached following instructions at

This will help with half of your problem.

For the second half -- check the permissions in the problem libraries and make sure that the webserver is allowed to read those files. I typically set owner of all of the problem libraries to root (or myself) , set group to wwadmin (which the webserver is NOT in) and set the file permissions to 664 (755 for directories) so that the webserver can read all of the files but cannot write to them. That way the original problem libraries can't be modified from the web, but can be edited by those in wwadmin.

I'm not sure this will fix your problem, but it's wise always to check permissions first in these cases -- many mysterious errors arise from permission mismatches. :-)

-- Mike

<| Post or View Comments |>