Forum archive 2000-2006

Lars Jensen - Gateway testing - where?

Lars Jensen - Gateway testing - where?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicGateway testing - where? topic started 5/31/2006; 4:10:43 PM
last post 6/7/2006; 9:03:09 PM
userLars Jensen - Gateway testing - where?  blueArrow
5/31/2006; 4:10:43 PM (reads: 1157, responses: 24)
It was my understanding that gateway testing was included in ww 2.2, however, I can't find it. I recall a drop-down menu somewhere in Gavin's preliminary "gateway version" of ww 2.1, that would allow me to configure a problem set for "gateway testing" or "proctored gateway testing," but I can't find it anywhere. Has gateway testing been included in ww 2.2?

Lars.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Gateway testing - where?  blueArrow
5/31/2006; 4:27:17 PM (reads: 1243, responses: 0)
Look towards the top of the Set detail page -- the one on which you edit the contents of a homework set, assign weights to problems, due dates and so forth. There is a pop-up button for assignment type that allows you to select either homework or gateway

-- Mike

userLars Jensen - Re: Gateway testing - where?  blueArrow
5/31/2006; 5:02:16 PM (reads: 1239, responses: 0)
Thanks Mike!

5/31/2006; 5:10:58 PM (reads: 1236, responses: 0)
Hi Mike,

Just tried to change the "Assignment type" setting of a problem set, and it turns out that it can't be changed - the only setting that "sticks" is "homework." No matter what I choose from the drop-down menu, once I click the "Save changes" button, the setting returns to "homework."

Lars.

5/31/2006; 5:58:48 PM (reads: 1252, responses: 0)
I haven't been able to reproduce this.

I took an existing homework course. Changed homework to gateway/quiz. Pressed "Save Changes" at the top of the page.

The return page had extra blanks to fill in regarding the parameters for the quiz.

Gavin LaRose is the principal author on this module, we might have to consult him.

5/31/2006; 7:13:08 PM (reads: 1246, responses: 0)
Hi Mike,

That's what I did as well, except that the "gateway/quiz" setting switched back to "homework" instantly as I clicked "Save changes."

You are running development 2.2, though, right? I'm running plain 2.2.

Lars.

userGavin LaRose - Re: Gateway testing - where?  blueArrow
6/1/2006; 9:31:27 AM (reads: 1234, responses: 1)
Hi Lars,

I've never seen this problem, but I'm running versions of WeBWorK that are well behind the curve. It sounds as if either the assignment type isn't being saved to the mySQL database, or the set detail page is automatically giving the default answer rather than what's in the database. Do you have access to the mySQL database? The easiest thing to do would be to check the actual assignment type in the database to see if it's correct.

Gavin

6/1/2006; 10:34:26 AM (reads: 1341, responses: 0)
Hi Gavin,

Yes, I do have mysql access. And I found the setName_set table with table entry "assignment_type", and it does indeed say "gateway." However when I login to the course and look at the same setting after editing the course in the library browser, it is still listed as "homework" and none of the extra blanks that Mike refered to pops up.

Lars.

6/1/2006; 1:25:21 PM (reads: 1225, responses: 0)
I'm using version 1.37 of ProblemSetDetail.pm You probably have version 1.32. The differences are cosmetic user interface as far as I can tell, but one of them might be causing your difficulty. You might try selectively updating

cvs status ProblemSetDetail.pm

will give you the version you are currently using.

cvs update -r 1.37 ProblemSetDetail.pm

will update just that one file.

Hope this helps.

-- Mike

6/1/2006; 2:17:13 PM (reads: 1212, responses: 0)
Hi Mike,

Tried this - it didn't help...

Lars.

6/2/2006; 8:46:34 AM (reads: 1209, responses: 0)
Hi Lars,

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're seeing here. I think you've described two apparently buggy behaviours: (1) when you go to the set detail page, select "gateway", and press "save", it returns with the set detail page but the assignment type reset to "homework" (even though the database indicates that the assignment type has been saved as "gateway"), and (2) after resetting the assignment type to "gateway", if you enter the Library browser the assignment type in the database gets reset as "homework". (Please let me know if that description isn't correct.)

I don't understand (1), because I've never seen that behavior (I've only seen the sequence of events that Mike indicated) and unfortunately don't have the time this morning to look at it to try and figure out what's going on. I'll be able to look at it next week, at which point I'll grab the latest version of WeBWorK out of the CVS and see if I can duplicate your problem. (2) might be more understandable; I haven't worked at all with the Library browser, so it may be that it creates/works with assignments without specifying an "assignment_type". I'd expect that this should result in the type not being changed, but I could possibly imagine some way that it might end up resetting the type unexpectedly.

Gavin

6/3/2006; 2:08:41 PM (reads: 1207, responses: 0)
Hi Gavin,

Your statement (1) above is exactly correct, and contains everything. I'm not sure that (2) adds anything.

So to summarize, here's what's going on:

(i) Enter the library browser

(ii) select a set from the "Select a Set from this Course" drop-down menu and click the "Edit Target Set" button

(iii) Select "gateway/quiz" from the "Assignment type" drop-down menu, and click "Save changes"

After carrying out (iii), (a) the web page instantly refreshes, listing the "Assignment type" as "homework" (on the drop-down menu), and (b) the mysql database correctly changes assignment_type to "gateway."

None of the "blanks" Mike mentions show up on the web page.

Hope this clarifies the behavior.

Lars.

6/3/2006; 3:26:39 PM (reads: 1200, responses: 0)
Lars,

Can you do the experiment you describe while watching the apache error log? I'm curious if any errors are being reported to the error log that aren't appearing on the screen. An error such as "such and such is not defined at line ..... of ....." would be very helpful.

-- Mike

6/3/2006; 4:10:52 PM (reads: 1198, responses: 0)
Mike, there's nothing in the apache error log at all. -Lars.

6/5/2006; 9:27:04 AM (reads: 1195, responses: 0)
Hi Lars (et al),

Is there an "Assignment Type" selector on the "Library Browser" page? I can't see one in the version of WeBWorK (2.1 or so) that I'm running on my development server. (Sam or Mike, did you add one?) I just did the following to see if I could duplicate your problem:

• Entered the Library Browser,
  • Created a new set, and then added problems to it. I don't have an "Assignment Type" option on the Library Browser page, so I then
  • Entered Instructor Tools, selected the set, and clicked "Edit one set",
  • Changed the assignment type to "gateway/quiz", saved and got the gateway parameters, which I then corrected, and finally
  • Went back to the Library Browser and added a problem, saving the set afterwards.

Through all of this, once I'd set the assignment type to "gateway/quiz" it remained that way without changing. I'll have to get the latest version of WeBWorK to see if there's a difference in that.

Lars, you said you're running WeBWorK 2.2, right? Can you give me access to the course you're working with so that I can see the behavior first-hand?

Thanks,
Gavin

6/5/2006; 1:32:17 PM (reads: 1174, responses: 0)
Hi Lars,

The plot thickens! I've tested the behavior you report on your server, and agree that the bug is clearly defined: changing the Assignment Type in the Set Detail page does not work. I can't look at the database to see what's going on there, but the Set Detail page doesn't show any change to the gateway/quiz assignment type.

So, I upgraded my development server to the latest version from the CVS, and I cannot duplicate the bug on my machine. So it's got to be something odd with either (a) the specific version of WeBWorK that you're running, assuming that it isn't the most current version from CVS, or (b) something with your set-up.

More anon,
Gavin

6/6/2006; 3:46:20 PM (reads: 1173, responses: 0)
An update for anyone who is following this thread.

The problem appears to be a very odd database data error. After selecting a 'gateway' assignment type in the Set Detail page and saving the set, the assignment_type field in the mySQL database is correctly defined to be 'gateway'. However, when revisiting the Set Detail page, the data from the database isn't being correctly read into the set object: a dump of the fields and their values is as follows.

version_last_attempt_time =>
version_time_limit => 0
versions_per_interval =>
time_interval =>
version_creation_time => gateway
assignment_type =>
attempts_per_version =>
problem_randorder =>

Looking in mySQL, the assignment_type field is defined to be 'gateway', version_creation_time is '0', and version_time_limit is 'null'. So somehow these are getting scrambled in the course of reading the data into the set object that's being used by the Set Detail page (which is generated by ProblemSetDetail.pm).

I'm not sure why this is. If someone else has some insight, it's welcome. We'll follow up when we have more information. The Set.pm file in ...lib/WeBWorK/DB/Record/ is fine.

Gavin

userSam Hathaway - Re: Gateway testing - where?  blueArrow
6/6/2006; 5:47:49 PM (reads: 1147, responses: 0)
Hi Gavin, Lars,

This could be caused by the columns of the set table being ordered incorrectly. Lars, could you run the following SQL query:

show fields from coursename_set (replace coursename with the name of your course.)

You'd do this in the mysql console for the webwork database. Enter it with:

mysql -u webworkRead -p webwork

Thanks.
-sam

6/6/2006; 10:41:34 PM (reads: 1134, responses: 0)
Hi sam,

This is the result of the

show fields from test1_set

query. The name of the course is test1

Lars.

set_id  	text  	YES  	MUL  	NULL  	 
set_header text YES NULL
hardcopy_header text YES NULL
open_date text YES NULL
due_date text YES NULL
answer_date text YES NULL
published text YES NULL
version_last_attempt_time bigint(20) YES NULL
version_time_limit int(11) YES NULL
versions_per_interval int(11) YES NULL
time_interval int(11) YES NULL
version_creation_time bigint(20) YES NULL
assignment_type text YES NULL
attempts_per_version int(11) YES NULL
problem_randorder int(11) YES NULL

6/7/2006; 12:17:08 AM (reads: 1135, responses: 0)
Mine looks like this:

set_id                   
set_header
hardcopy_header
open_date
due_date
answer_date
published
assignment_type
attempts_per_version
time_interval
versions_per_interval
version_time_limit
version_creation_time
problem_randorder
version_last_attempt_time

Looks like yours is out of order for some reason. I'm not sure why this would have happened, but you can fix it by modifying the file lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/SQL.pm:

Replace each occurence of:

my $stmt = "SELECT * FROM `$sqlTable` $where";

(This line appears twice, once in the gets subroutine, and once in the getAll subroutine.)

With:

my @fieldnames = $self->sqlFieldnames();
my $fieldnames = join(", ", @fieldnames);
my $stmt = "SELECT $fieldnames FROM `$sqlTable` $where";

I haven't tested this yet, but it shouldn't do any damage. I'll test it tomorrow.
-sam

6/7/2006; 12:58:41 PM (reads: 1113, responses: 0)
Hi Sam,

The above replacement resulted in this error when I tried to login to the course:

Warning messages

* DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Operand should contain 1 column(s) at /opt/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/SQL.pm line 229.

Error messages

DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Operand should contain 1 column(s) at /opt/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/SQL.pm line 229.

Call stack

The information below can help locate the source of the problem.

* in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::SQL::gets called at line 202 of /opt/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/SQL.pm

* in WeBWorK::DB::Schema::SQL::get called at line 1039 of /opt/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/DB.pm

* in WeBWorK::DB::getUser called at line 179 of /opt/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Authen.pm

* in WeBWorK::Authen::verify called at line 227 of /opt/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm

Lars.

6/7/2006; 3:32:14 PM (reads: 1105, responses: 0)
Lars,

Sorry about that. I should not have put parens around $fieldnames. I've fixed it above and tested the code this time.
-sam

6/7/2006; 3:39:11 PM (reads: 1116, responses: 0)
Hi,

This bug is fixed in lib/WeBWorK/DB/Schema/SQL.pm version 1.31 (for HEAD) and version 1.29.2.2 (for the rel-2-2-dev branch).

If you're running 2.2.x, you can update to the tip of the 2.2 dev branch as follows:

cvs update -r rel-2-2-dev

(Don't forget to restart the web server after you do this.)

HTH.
-sam

6/7/2006; 4:01:07 PM (reads: 1105, responses: 0)
Hi Sam,

Thanks! The "Assignment type" now sticks and the extra blanks show up!

Is there (going to be) a rel-2-2-patches branch?

Lars.

6/7/2006; 9:03:09 PM (reads: 1118, responses: 0)
Hi Lars,

The rel-2-2-dev branch serves that purpose. (In addition, it also served as a staging area during the 2.2.0 feature freeze. That's why the name change.)
-sam