Forum archive 2000-2006

Sherman Wong - Error Message for Student Rendering but not for Instructor Rendering

Sherman Wong - Error Message for Student Rendering but not for Instructor Rendering

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicError Message for Student Rendering but not for Instructor Rendering topic started 9/27/2006; 8:48:51 AM
last post 9/27/2006; 11:36:51 AM
userSherman Wong - Error Message for Student Rendering but not for Instructor Rendering  blueArrow
9/27/2006; 8:48:51 AM (reads: 112, responses: 3)
I am overseeing about 17 sections that are using WeBWorK, of which 12 are sections of Pre-Calculus. One instructor has reported that two of his students have gotten the same error message for the same problem template. Logging-in as an administrator, I have a proper rendering of the problem, but when I act as one of these students, I get the error message attached below.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to the cause of WeBWorK's inability to render the problem for some students but not all.

Thank you.

Sherman

(1 pt)

% ERROR in :EV3, PGbasicmacros.pl:

% There is an error occuring in the following code: Seven points in the plane are given below. Find the regression equation, letting the first variable be the independent x variable, and predict the y value when x is $tall . \begin{array}{c|ccccccc} \mbox{x} & $sh[0] & $sh[1] & $sh[2] & $sh[3] & $sh[4] & $sh[5] & $sh[6] \cr \hline \mbox{y} & $sw[0] & $sw[1] & $sw[2] & $sw[3] & $sw[4] & $sw[5] & $sw[6] \cr \end{array}

The regression equation is y = +\ x .

The best predicted y value(from the regression equation) when x is $tall is .

% % Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at (eval 59103) line 1. % % %

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Error Message for Student Rendering but not for Instructor Rendering  blueArrow
9/27/2006; 9:18:56 AM (reads: 132, responses: 0)
Since different students have different coefficients in their problem it is problem for a question to be ill posed for one student but not for others. See How to report a bug in a WeBWorK problem for directions for reporting the bug and for a quick fix.

userSherman Wong - Re: Error Message for Student Rendering but not for Instructor Rendering  blueArrow
9/27/2006; 10:29:10 AM (reads: 136, responses: 0)
Michael:

Thank you for pointing out a resolution to the problem. I'll try it out. I must add that the problem template that has caused this failure to display is not from the official WeBWorK library but is a template created by one of my colleagues so it is very possible that the program is having difficulties with the coefficients.

Sherman

userMichael Gage - Re: Error Message for Student Rendering but not for Instructor Rendering  blueArrow
9/27/2006; 11:36:51 AM (reads: 133, responses: 0)
You can also report these problems to bugzilla, but in this case you should include the text of the problems. (and the library problems are likely to take precedence.)