Forum archive 2000-2006

Lars Jensen - Webwork 2.3 error message

Lars Jensen - Webwork 2.3 error message

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWebwork 2.3 error message topic started 11/20/2006; 1:21:16 PM
last post 11/21/2006; 8:39:54 AM
userLars Jensen - Webwork 2.3 error message  blueArrow
11/20/2006; 1:21:16 PM (reads: 98, responses: 3)
Dear Colleagues,

We just installed webwork 2.3 on a new server. When a user submits an answer to a problem, the user gets the error message below. It looks as if it might be some variable that points to a wrong path, but I have installed everything in its default locations at /opt/webwork/pg, /opt/webwork/webwork2, /opt/webwork/courses, and /opt/webwork/libraries. We're running version rel-2-3-dev

Any ideas what could be causing this error?

Thanks,

Lars.

Warning messages

* Failed to create directory /opt/webwork/webwork2/opt/ with start directory /opt/webwork/webwork2 at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils.pm line 281.

* Failed to create directory /opt/webwork/webwork2/opt/webwork/ with start directory /opt/webwork/webwork2 at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils.pm line 281.

* Failed to create directory /opt/webwork/webwork2/opt/webwork/courses/ with start directory /opt/webwork/webwork2 at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils.pm line 281.

* Failed to create directory /opt/webwork/webwork2/opt/webwork/courses/Test101/ with start directory /opt/webwork/webwork2 at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils.pm line 281.

* Failed to create directory /opt/webwork/webwork2/opt/webwork/courses/Test101/logs/ with start directory /opt/webwork/webwork2 at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/Utils.pm line 281.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Webwork 2.3 error message  blueArrow
11/20/2006; 6:58:28 PM (reads: 112, responses: 0)
It definitely looks like a wrong path. The program is trying to write an entry in the course log file. It is expecting the path to begin /opt/webwork/webwork2/... or else to be a path relative to this directory. The actual path seems to be something like /opt/webwork/courses/Test101/logs so presumably it is trying to write a log file. Probably the transaction.log or answer_log.

OK. I think I have it. There is an error in the global.conf.dist

# The transaction log contains data from each recorded answer submission. This
# is useful if the database becomes corrupted.
$webworkFiles{logs}{transaction} = "$courseDirs{logs}/transaction.log";

The mismatch is that as currently defined the "transaction" logging facility is expected to be under the webworkDirs, not the courseDirs. The quick fix for now is to change courseDirs{logs} to webworkDirs{logs}.

Hopefully that will work.

That said I believe that the proper place to store each transaction is with the course in "$courseDirs{logs}/transaction.log" however that will require a change in the calls to writeLog( $self->{ce}, "transaction", in Problem.pm and GatewayQuiz.pm -- to call writeCourseLog(...

and the transaction log entry would read

$courseFiles{logs}{transaction}    = "$courseDirs{logs}/transaction.log";

I'll suggest this latter fix on bugzilla and let others comment on it.

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Take care,

Mike

userLars Jensen - Re: Webwork 2.3 error message  blueArrow
11/21/2006; 2:45:53 AM (reads: 108, responses: 0)
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the help - your quick fix did the job.

FYI - I tested this installation with moodle 1.5 and 1.7. It worked fine with moodle 1.5, but moodle 1.7, the current version of moodle, doesn't integrate with webwork. The directory structure in moodle has changed between these versions, and the integration no longer works.

Lars.

userMichael Gage - Re: Webwork 2.3 error message  blueArrow
11/21/2006; 8:39:54 AM (reads: 104, responses: 0)
Thanks, Lars. I'm using moodle 1.6 with WeBWorK. I haven't had a chance to play with moodle 1.7 yet. If it's just a change in directory structure adapting wwmoodle to moodle 1.7 shouldn't be too hard, but it will have to wait until a vacation before I'll be able to get to it myself. :-)

-- Mike