I believe that I tracked down the issue. After talking to the system administrator and getting an account on the server, I was able to discover that the perl library had been updated on May 4, switching to the newer version of Safe.pm. Since this happened after our semester ended, nobody discovered the issue until I started back into writing some new problems.
I replicated the issue on a LiveDVD install that I then upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I was able to resolve the issue by adding the WWSafe.pm and then modifying the files that called "use Safe;" to "use WWSafe;" as described:
I've requested our system administrator to make the fix to our server. We should be upgrading to the current WW release later this summer.
This forum has a limit to the number of forum postings you can make in a given time period - this is currently set at 5 posting(s) in 1 day