WeBWorK Main Forum

Do we really need to update OPL every time the docker container starts?

Do we really need to update OPL every time the docker container starts?

by David Reagan -
Number of replies: 0
So, I'm very new to webwork, so I don't really understand how it all works, but it seems like running the OPL update tasks every time the container starts is a bit inefficient. I'd think you'd only want to run those tasks when you know OPL needs updating.

I do see the checks around line 124 of https://github.com/openwebwork/webwork2/blob/WeBWorK-2.15/docker-config/docker-entrypoint.sh#L124, but you still end up running the tasks at least the first time your container starts. And that seems to block apache from starting until OPL is finished. Wouldn't that mean that every time you restart the container you are risking a long period of downtime if OPL needs an update?

Is OPL required for webwork2 to work at all?

Could those tasks be moved out of the entrypoint script and into something that is triggered manually, or maybe triggered via an outside cron? (For example, I have Drupal 8 running via Docker and I have a `docker exec` command that triggers every few minutes to run cron tasks.)

Anyway, I was just wondering about it as I've been getting an instance up and running today....