WeBWorK Main Forum

LTI authentication failed through Blackboard

Re: LTI authentication failed through Blackboard

by Bianca Sosnovski -
Number of replies: 1

Nathan,

This is fantastic! Thank you  for providing yet another modified file to debug the timestamp.

I contacted our university's Blackboard people. I hope we will hear from them soon. Collecting the info with your modified file certainly helps to figure out the issue.

Our Webwork is running NTP:

root@webwork:~# timedatectl

Local time: Mon 2021-02-15 13:38:58 EST  

Universal time: Mon 2021-02-15 18:38:58 UTC  

RTC time: Mon 2021-02-15 18:38:58      

Time zone: America/New_York (EST, -0500)

System clock synchronized: yes                          

NTP service: active                       

RTC in local TZ: no  

I will keep you posted of what is going on.

Thank you gain.

In reply to Bianca Sosnovski

Re: LTI authentication failed through Blackboard

by Bianca Sosnovski -
This is just an update on the issue we had with the authentication failure via Blackboard.

I contacted our University IT for Blackboard and they said they would take a look at the issue.
Couple of weeks after that, I noticed that complains about the issue stopped. I haven't changed anything in the system to resolve the issue since my last post. But I'm happy that people stopped reporting the authentication failure.

Checking the debug file, I still see some occasional occurrence of "authentication failed" but the difference is that students now are able to login right away after it happens (within few seconds). Before it would take long periods of time, sometimes a couple of days for them to be able to login again.

By the way, I hadn't seen any timestamp info (from the patch in LTIAdvanced.pm above) if different between the servers are more than 5 secs appears in the debug that associated with an instance "authentication failed".

It may be that the issue was resolved by a change in the Blackboard system. I'm just not aware if any modification was done in Blackboard 🤷‍♀️.
I will ask the IT if they ever did anything directly related to the issue with Blackboard.

Thank you for all the help.