Forum archive 2000-2006

Arnold K. Pizer - Installing WeBWorK

Arnold K. Pizer - Installing WeBWorK

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicInstalling WeBWorK topic started 4/28/2000; 10:52:39 AM
last post 10/26/2000; 7:31:11 PM
userArnold K. Pizer - Installing WeBWorK  blueArrow
4/28/2000; 10:52:39 AM (reads: 12872, responses: 4)

Installing WeBWorK

Installing WeBWorK on your own server is the most technical part of working with WeBWorK. Managing courses in WeBWorK is not hard, and doing homework in WeBWorK is pretty easy for most students.

Here are some documents that will help during the installation: There is a good deal of overlap and some of the earlier documents may have a some statements which are no longer correct. Also check out Bill Ziemer's (wziemer@csulb.edu)makefile which automates the installation of all the auxiliary programs (perl, apache, etc) WeBWorK requires. This is located at http://webwork-db.math.rochester.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ under the CSLB root.

Installing WeBWorK 1.8

Installing WeBWorK on Redhat Linux 8.0 for WeBWork 1.8

readme.first file for WeBWorK version 1.8

Overview of WeBWorK system setup for WeBWorK 1.8

readme.install file for WeBWorK version 1.8

readme.upgrade file for WeBWorK version 1.8

To install a version of WeBWorK that can be continuously updated via CVS see:

HowTo use the CVS

Older documentation.

Installing WeBWorK on Redhat Linux 7.1

Installing WebWorK on Debian Linux (brief version)

Overview of WeBWorK installation

Modifications needed to use CAPA problems

<| Post or View Comments |>

userThomas Mattman - Re: Installing WeBWorK  blueArrow
10/11/2000; 9:11:40 PM (reads: 6771, responses: 1)
I am applying for funding for a student to install WeBWorK. He seems to be quite competent at UNIX. I wonder if anybody would hazard a guess as to how long (how many hours) the installation might take?

Thanks,

Thomas TMattman@CSUChico.edu

userMichael Gage - Re: Installing WeBWorK  blueArrow
10/11/2000; 9:31:20 PM (reads: 7948, responses: 0)
Dear Thomas,

It depends a lot on how much is already installed. If TeX and LateX2HTML are already installed for example the installation can be fairly fast. It also helps to be already familiar with installing perl modules from CPAN in case your system doesn't have all the modules used by WeBWorK.

To install everything from scratch on a Linux system will take several of hours. If something doesn't work it may take a few more hours to trouble shoot. (We can help with that.) Perhaps the best idea of what is involved can be obtained from reading through the step by step instructions that Arnie Pizer has created for installing WeBWorK on RedHat Linux. http://webhost.math.rochester.edu/webworkdocs/docs/install/linuxredhat

Since you are asking for funding and it's a student, I would ask for some extra -- say 30 hours. Probably about 10 hours set up time, with some extra time for setup and learning AND a few hours left over for him to come back and tweak the system in case something shows up a week after the initial setup. This estimate may be too conservative -- some people have successfully set WeBWorK up in much less time than that.

I've forwarded this message to Arnie Pizer, who may have some additional comments.

Good luck and let us know how things are working out. We can often be of help, even long distance.

Take care,

Mike

userThomas Mattman - Re: Installing WeBWorK  blueArrow
10/26/2000; 7:29:29 PM (reads: 6909, responses: 0)
Thanks Arnold and Mike. We have funding for the installation. I'll be contacting you if we run into any problems.

Thomas

userMichael Gage - Re: Installing WeBWorK  blueArrow
10/26/2000; 7:31:11 PM (reads: 6867, responses: 0)
Great. Let us know if we can help.

Take care,

Mike