Forum archive 2000-2006

Bill Ziemer - Need for a Developers Forum?

Bill Ziemer - Need for a Developers Forum?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicNeed for a Developers Forum? topic started 2/24/2001; 1:04:31 AM
last post 3/1/2001; 12:39:11 PM
userBill Ziemer - Need for a Developers Forum?  blueArrow
2/24/2001; 1:04:31 AM (reads: 1256, responses: 3)
Hi all, I have been away for a bit, but am back and ready to code! I was wondering if there is an existing list of enhancements that people are working on? (so that there would be no duplication of effort.) --Bill Ziemer

<| Post or View Comments |>

userAndy Wildenberg - Re: Need for a Developers Forum?  blueArrow
3/1/2001; 11:07:46 AM (reads: 1474, responses: 0)
If you want a forum to discuss these kinds of enhancements, I already run forum software for my class and it would be trivial for me to create a new WebWork development forum. If interested, please email me (awilden@cs.sunysb.edu)

userMichael Gage - Re: Need for a Developers Forum?  blueArrow
3/1/2001; 11:16:41 AM (reads: 1466, responses: 0)
Thank you Andy, that's very generous.

This Frontier site does not get an enormous amount of use, so I had thought that this could be used as a developer forum site for the time being. We could re-evaluate if the useage became too high to be handled comfortably. I'm open to suggestions on this and to what is needed. Currently this site is open (for reading) to everyone, do people see a need for greater privacy on a developer forum?

I'm somewhat familiar with some other forum software (e.g. that used at swarthmore), but I'm certainly not an expert at it. Are there advantages to particular types of forum software that we coud be profitting from?

-- Mike

userAndy Wildenberg - Re: Need for a Developers Forum?  blueArrow
3/1/2001; 12:39:11 PM (reads: 1452, responses: 0)
I use the Jive system, which is an open-source, free forum system written by quite a few people, including some of my former students. It's available at www.coolservlets.com and I found the setup to be very quick. It's been designed to be pretty easy to use, high performance and very customizable. Runs with nearly any database backend. In fact one of the reasons I had been asking about WebWork's database backend would be to see if I can link the two in some intelligent way. The biggest problem for you to use it is that you would have to have a servlet engine and a database running first. If you're willing to install that, I'd definitely recommend Jive.

If Rochester is willing to host such a forum, that's great!