Installation

WW 2.17 on CentOS 7 server Library Browser Error

Re: WW 2.17 on CentOS 7 server Library Browser Error

by Edwin Flórez -
Number of replies: 9
I ran the download-OPL-metadata-release.pl script directly and although check_modules.pl says that my dependencies are fine,
SC
it appears that I don't have the File/Fecth package. 
SC
After installing it with sudo yum install perl-File-Fetch, I get an uninitialized value problem and here I am stuck. 
SC
I noticed there is OPL-update-legacy script, 
SC
can I run it while this bug is fixed? 

Thank you very much Glenn
In reply to Edwin Flórez

by Glenn Rice -

File::Fetch is not in check_modules.pl.  It needs to be added.

What version of File::Fetch is installed with "yum install perl-File-Fetch"?  One way to find this is to run

perl -MFile::Fetch -e 'print $File::Fetch::VERSION;'

I don't think this is a WeBWorK bug.  Something is not working with your File::Fetch installation.

You can use the OPL-update-legacy script, but that will take a while (around 10 minutes if your computer is fast).

In reply to Glenn Rice

by Edwin Flórez -

sc

>>I don't think this is a WeBWorK bug.  Something is not working with your File::Fetch installation.

OK, I hope we can find it.

>>You can use the OPL-update-legacy script, but that will take a while (around 10 minutes if your computer is fast).

I already did it, it worked, it took about 10 minutes as you said, but the good thing is that the error is gone.

SC

Now to solve other problems, when I ran OPL-update-legacy several errors came out, most of them are of this type that I think are from the Contrib folder that I activated::

SC

But the ones that most concern us for now are these, that although they are displayed well in library browser, when rendering them this error appears

SC

In reply to Edwin Flórez

by Glenn Rice -
Try changing to your home directory (for this just run "cd" from the shell), and try running download-OPL-metadata-release again (assuming that is not how you ran it before). See if that works.

I suspect that when you ran it before you were in a directory that your user does not have write permissions for. In this case File::Fetch will not be able to download the file. File::Fetch should give a warning that this is the case (it does for me), but for you File::Fetch is not showing the error for some reason.

I am not sure what is going on with OPL-update-legacy for you. I see all of the warnings when OPL-update-legacy is run (they are just warnings and not errors, and are caused by invalid tags in many of the Contrib files). However, the problems work fine in the library browser. I specifically found the problems in your screenshot, and they loaded as they should.
In reply to Glenn Rice

by Edwin Flórez -
You are correct, the version of yum install perl-File-Fetch is old. I used sudo cpanm install File::Fetch it now the script works almost completely except for -C from git:
SC
I changed it to lowercase and
SC
what do you think is missing or wrong?

In reply to Edwin Flórez

by Glenn Rice -
What does it show when you run "git --version"? I suspect your version of git is older too.

I notice that your output from git does not show the "-C" option.  That option has been around for a while, so I suspect your version of git is rather dated.

Note that the "-c" option is not the same as the "-C" option for git.  So changing that won't work.
In reply to Glenn Rice

by Edwin Flórez -
yes too old it was 1.8.3.1, update git to 2.36.1 using this reference https://serverfault.com/questions/709433/install-a-newer-version-of-git-on-centos-7.
SC

The problem is CentOS 7 itself, one has to struggle a lot.

What do you think about this problem as I showed you earlier?
SC

It displays fine but when I try to preview it or review response I get this error.
SC

Again an outdated Perl package (B - The Perl Compiler Backend, https://perldoc.perl.org/B)?

I'm trying to update it but I'm having difficulties.

thank you very much for your help, now at least almost everything is working on my old CentOS 7 with the new WW 2.17.

In reply to Edwin Flórez

by Glenn Rice -
I am really not certain. You could try installing the perl JSON::XS package and see if that fixes this. I am reaching a bit here though. I see that the error is coming from JSON::PP, which is the native JSON backend. If you install JSON::XS it should switch to using that instead. We have seen other issues with using JSON::PP.
In reply to Glenn Rice

by Danny Glin -
Installing JSON::XS (using yum install perl-JSON-XS) on CentOS 7 fixed this particular issue for me.
In reply to Danny Glin

by Edwin Flórez -
Thanks Glenn and Danny, now everything works after install JSON::XS using yum install perl-JSON-XS.