Forum archive 2000-2006

Bill Ziemer - Feedback problems

Bill Ziemer - Feedback problems

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicFeedback problems topic started 9/25/2001; 5:49:48 PM
last post 9/28/2001; 12:29:44 PM
userBill Ziemer - Feedback problems  blueArrow
9/25/2001; 5:49:48 PM (reads: 1176, responses: 3)
The feedback form fails: Couldn't contact SMTP server. Looking at feedback.pl, the command: my $smtp = Net::SMTP->new($Global::smtpServer, Timeout=>10) || ... is what is failing. Running: "sendmail -vt" from the command prompt succeeds, and the responding server matches the smtpServer in Global.pm However running the small script:

use Net::SMTP;

$smtp = new->('smtp server name', Timeout=>10)||print "fails";

$smtp->quit;

Results in "fails".

By the way, everything works fine for the private course on another (I thought identical) machine; both run Redhat 7.0.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Feedback problems  blueArrow
9/26/2001; 1:57:12 PM (reads: 1361, responses: 0)
What is $smtpServer set to in both the Global.pm files? Here is how it is set at Rochester but don't just copy this.

# $smtpServer is the address of the sendmail server. If you are running sendmail on the
# same machine as webwork, use "localhost"
$smtpServer = 'mail.math.rochester.edu';

userBill Ziemer - Re: Feedback problems  blueArrow
9/27/2001; 11:04:02 AM (reads: 1392, responses: 0)
I have tried $smtpServer = 'smtp.csulb.edu' and $smtpServer = 'localhost'. When I do "sendmail -vt" from the command prompt, all works fine. smtp.csulb.edu answers and delivers the mail. It must be something in the configuration of sendmail, I guess. (On the machine the works, $smtpServer = 'smtp.csulb.edu')

userBill Ziemer - Re: Feedback problems  blueArrow
9/28/2001; 12:29:44 PM (reads: 1368, responses: 0)
the command: telnet smtp.csulb.edu 25 works. The server sets up the esmtp connection.

the command: sendmail works. The mail is sent successfully.