Forum archive 2000-2006

ymarkov - Problem with resetting passwords

ymarkov - Problem with resetting passwords

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicProblem with resetting passwords topic started 11/13/2001; 9:56:04 AM
last post 11/13/2001; 3:30:30 PM
userymarkov - Problem with resetting passwords  blueArrow
11/13/2001; 9:56:04 AM (reads: 860, responses: 2)
Hello. I would like to ask if anybody knows a fix for the following problem. Couple a students in one of the classes I maintain, claimed that the system will not let them login, and they remember their passwords well. I have reset the passwords to their ID's, and access is allowed. However, pink warning screens appear almost everywhere - entry page, problem pages, etc. The warning message is shown below. Could it be that some of the data files are corrupted? I will be grateful for any suggestion.

Yavor Markov, Rutgers * Compiler warnings: * Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at /webwork/s1/WWW/webwork/system/cgi/cgi-scripts/processProblem8.pl line 269. ##More details: ---------------------------------------

* Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at /webwork/s1/WWW/webwork/system/scripts/HTMLglue.pl line 133. ##More details: -------- main::htmlBOTTOM called at /webwork/s1/WWW/webwork/system/cgi/cgi-scripts/processProblem8.pl line 841

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Problem with resetting passwords  blueArrow
11/13/2001; 11:32:10 AM (reads: 1050, responses: 0)
Hi Yavor,

I doubt this is a major problem but it is one we have not seen before.

Line 133 of HTMLglue.pl is

if ($permissions == $Global::instructor_permissions)

This indicates that somehow the permission for the student was removed, i.e. it is probably empty. How did you set the new password? Did you do this over the web from the Prof/Classlist/Give a student a new password item? This is how you should do this. The newpassword.pl script hasn't been looked at in a long time (although I don't know what could be wrong with it).

To fix the problem, try the following. Run the command line script

removeProfPermissions.pl course student_login

This should reset the student's permission to 0 even though it is not currently set to 10 (instructor permission). Even if it fails, it will print out the permission database so you can see what the student's record says.

If you want to look at the permission database before doing anything, run the command line script export_permission-database.pl

If this doesn't solve your problem, write back.

Arnie

userymarkov - Re: Problem with resetting passwords  blueArrow
11/13/2001; 3:30:30 PM (reads: 1026, responses: 0)
I appologize, my mistake all along. I had wrongly altered the status of the student to DROP sometime before I have tried to give him a new password (over the web, no problem there). So, after setting the new password, it would have been possible for the student to login and do work, even though he was not in the permision-database (thus the red/pink screens). Thank you for the export_permission-database.pl hint. It helped me find my mistake faster.

Yavor