Forum archive 2000-2006

Donald Behan - Capital vs. lower case in problem definition

Donald Behan - Capital vs. lower case in problem definition

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicCapital vs. lower case in problem definition topic started 5/17/2002; 1:52:09 PM
last post 5/17/2002; 2:47:02 PM
userDonald Behan - Capital vs. lower case in problem definition  blueArrow
5/17/2002; 1:52:09 PM (reads: 1350, responses: 2)
Two of my problem sets look for Prob files, even though the set definition file has lower case prob. This would not be a serious difficulty, except that one student started getting the prob files, so I now have to maintain two parallel sets of problems. Does anyone know where processProblem8.pl gets the name of the problem that it is to present? If I knew where this routine is looking, I would know where the capital letters are, and could change them. The only place that I am aware of the problems being listed is in the set definition file.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Capital vs. lower case in problem definition  blueArrow
5/17/2002; 2:07:14 PM (reads: 1608, responses: 0)
It's possible (in fact likely since I can think of no other explanation) that the set was build by a set definition file listing Prob1.pg but after that someone edited the set definition file and changed Prob1.pg to prob1.pg. Then they build the set again which would not change things for "old" students but would add data for new students. That's how old students would be served up the Prob files, but new ones would get the prob files. In the database each student has an individual entry that points to his/her problems (which you can see but not change under item 9 from the prof page). WeBWorK (processProblem8.pl) looks this up in the database. For now probably the easiest thing to do is to copy prob1.pg to Prob1.pg (cp not mv) so that you have two copies and after the course is over to clean up the redundant Prob1.pg. You could also use symbolic links if you know about these. Another way would be to go into the database (from item 11 on the prof page) and edit the problem name for all students but be careful. The easiest thing to do is to just have two copies of the files (make sure the new copy is readable by the webserver --- i.e. has the same permissions and groups as the original).

userDonald Behan - Re: Capital vs. lower case in problem definition  blueArrow
5/17/2002; 2:47:02 PM (reads: 1629, responses: 0)
Thanks, that solved the problem.