Forum archive 2000-2006

Jason Farmer - Images on Downloaded PDF Incorrect

Jason Farmer - Images on Downloaded PDF Incorrect

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0

inactiveTopicImages on Downloaded PDF Incorrect topic started 5/17/2002; 3:40:54 PM
last post 5/23/2002; 5:39:43 AM
userJason Farmer - Images on Downloaded PDF Incorrect  blueArrow
5/17/2002; 3:40:54 PM (reads: 1596, responses: 4)
I apologize for creating a new thread with this subject. I was afraid making a comment under my old thread would not get any responses because it was posted over a month ago. I had originally posted this <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Hello again everyone, Another problem we are having, once we can download the PDF or any hard copy in that matter, the images of graphs can not be viewed for Set0 - Problem 6 (by default prob 6, actual name was pg4). On page 2 of the PDF printout column 1 is completely blank, and on column 2 there are the 4 areas where the images should reside (note: we are missing problems 4 and 5 which should also be on the page). When we open the DVI in a DVI-reader, we can see the images being layered quickly, then dissapearing along with the first column. We are using solaris 8, netpbm 9.25, WeBWorK v1.7, latex2html 2002. Any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Here are a couple of links to our problems: Sample PDF with problem: http://www.radford.edu/~jfarmer/sample.pdf Sample DVI with problem: http://www.radford.edu/~jfarmer/sample2.dvi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And Mr. Gage was very helpful in giving us a start in examining the TeX documents. I downloaded the TeX documents, and with my MikTeX on my Windows machine, was able to successfully create the PDF documents. I hope this is enough information to narrow the problem down further, for we would really like to resolve this issue before the start of the summer semester so students can begin using WeBWorK. Please feel free to email me at farmer.jason@lycos.com or I will be checking this thread often for any help! Thank you again everyone! I think that WeBWorK has one of the best help forums out there!

~Jason~

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: Images on Downloaded PDF Incorrect  blueArrow
5/18/2002; 5:17:07 PM (reads: 1864, responses: 0)
Hi Jason,

You can get email notification of any responses to your posts by checking the email notification box below the "post response" button. You can also sign up to receive email notification (via a list_serve at Dartmouth College) of any posts to this forum -- Click on "Change preferences" on the naviation links to the left of each page.

It sounds like the TeX code being generated is fine, so the next step is to try to step through the prduction process from .tex to .dvi to .ps to .pdf files, one at a time on the unix server. I'll try to get a more detailed description of this debugging process up on the web early next week. Let me know if you have success before then, I'll incorporate your comments into the description.

Take care,

Mike

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Images on Downloaded PDF Incorrect  blueArrow
5/20/2002; 10:03:37 AM (reads: 1840, responses: 0)
Hi Jason,

Do these graphs appear correctly if you view the problem? For example, you can login as practice2 (password practice2) to

http://webwork.math.rochester.edu/mth162/

and look at prob. 6 in set 0 to see what the problem should look like. If not, one possibility is that the paths to the images are incorrect (or the directories are not accessible by the webserver) --- e.g. $courseTempURL may be set incorrectly in the webworkCourse.ph file. You can check the URL of the (not viewable) image and then see if the image can actually be found at that location (check that $courseTempDirectory is also set correctly in webworkCourse.ph). The course set up script sets both $courseTempURL and $courseTempDirectory but, at least for large courses, we suggest modifying these and, if modified, they may have been set incorrectly.

Another possibility is that there is a problem with the graphics package you are using. You can email Gavin LaRose (glarose@umich.edu) at Michigan who is using Solaris 8 and ask what packages/versions they are using. See http://webhost.math.rochester.edu/webworkdocs/sites/systems/ for more information.

If neither of these solves the problem, let us know and we can dig deeper.

Arnie

userJason Farmer - Re: Images on Downloaded PDF Incorrect  blueArrow
5/23/2002; 5:01:47 AM (reads: 1890, responses: 0)
Good suggestion Arnie. I tried examining the .tex and the .dvi files for the path to the images. They were both correct and the images were there at time of construction. We are also lead to believe that the images are inside of the .pdf and .ps documents because when you open that document, you can see the 4 graphs being layered, but they are all 8.5"x11", or the full size of ther piece of paper. Is there somewhere that defines the size of the images on creation?

Jason

userMichael Gage - Re: Images on Downloaded PDF Incorrect  blueArrow
5/23/2002; 5:39:43 AM (reads: 1823, responses: 0)
Hi Jason,

You might try playing with the contents of the file

templates/texSetPreamble.tex

inside your webwork course.

Ours reads:

batchmode
documentclass[10pt,dvips]{amsart}
usepackage{amsmath,amsfonts,amssymb,multicol}
usepackage{graphicx}
usepackage{epsf}
usepackage{pslatex}
pagestyle{plain}
textheight 9in
oddsidemargin = -0.42in
evensidemargin = -0.42in

This seems a little confusing to me because both graphicx and epsf are graphics packages. You might try taking one or the other out (or both) and see what the effect is.

If the .dvi files display pictures correctly (when viewed on the unix machine, so they can reach the pictures) then this is probably not the problem.

The subroutine "images" (in PGbasicmacros.pl?? or PGgraphmacros.pl) outputs a call to the tex graphics packages which should have information about the size of the pictures. Look in the .tex file to see if it is working.

--Mike