Installation

Library Browser Fails with xmlrpcCall

Library Browser Fails with xmlrpcCall

by Fred Sullivan -
Number of replies: 2
I have a new 2.12 installation on Ubuntu 16.04. When I try to load a subject from the Open Problem Library, I get:

WebworkClientErrors:

404 Not Found at /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WebworkClient.pm line 293.

Error messages:

xmlrpcCall to searchLib returned no result for

The message ends abruptly

Call Stack:
  • in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::instructorXMLHandler::content called at line 233 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK/ContentGenerator.pm
  • in WeBWorK::ContentGenerator::go called at line 382 of /opt/webwork/webwork2/lib/WeBWorK.pm
Chrome developer tools tell me

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0
at JSON.parse (<anonymous>)
at Function.parseJSON (jquery.js:2)
at Object.success (setmaker.js:174)
at o (jquery.js:2)
at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (jquery.js:2)
at w (jquery.js:4)
at XMLHttpRequest.d (jquery.js:4)

I can't figure out what is not available. I redid the installation of Open Problem Library. I also used CPAN to install the latest XMLRPC::Lite

check_config says all modules are installed. I've carefully checked file permissions.

Please help!

In reply to Fred Sullivan

Re: Library Browser Fails with xmlrpcCall

by Michael Gage -
Take a look at

Also search the forums for "404 not found" or other relevant key words.

You are having a problem of connecting the AJAX callback from the webpage to the server. It can arise in a number of ways including a misconfiguration of the
site url in site.conf. See what you can find and if you get the problem fixed report back what fixed it.

In reply to Michael Gage

Re: Library Browser Fails with xmlrpcCall

by Fred Sullivan -
Problem solved!

My installation was done by a couple of very inexperienced system managers (undergraduates). When they put the site url in site.conf, they used double quotes rather than single quotes, as suggested in the comments. When I noticed this and changed it to single quotes, it started working.

Presumably there was some unwanted variable substitution going on inside the url. An excellent lesson for the students!

Thanks very much, Michael. Your hint was right on the money!