Difference between revisions of "Help:Managing files"
(→Using Images and FIle Description Pages: Changed "I" to "i" in "File".)
m (1 revision: upload local mediawiki help files)
Revision as of 22:01, 28 April 2010
|PD||Important note: When you edit this page, you agree to release your contribution into the public domain. If you don't want this or can't do this because of license restrictions, please don't edit. This page is one of the Public Domain Help Pages, which can be freely copied into fresh wiki installations and/or distributed with MediaWiki software; see Help:Contents for an overview of all pages. See Project:PD help/Copying for instructions.||PD|
If file uploads are enabled, you can upload certain types of files to the wiki. This is particularly useful for uploading images, which you want to place on an article, but you can also upload other types of files.
Upload a file
- Prepare the file for upload. Make sure the file is exactly as you want it.
- In the sidebar, under “tools”, click “upload file.”
- Click “Browse” next to the “Source filename:” to locate the file on your computer (the name of the “browse” button depends on your web browser).
- Change the “Destination filename:” to something descriptive, if necessary.
- Fill in the “Summary,” if necessary.
- Click the “Upload file” button.
If it is a large file, you may need to wait several seconds for the upload to complete.
Using Images and File Description Pages
After you've uploaded a file, you can use it in an article, with some special wiki syntax to create the link. See Help:Images.
Your file gets its very own “File Description Page” within the File namespace of the wiki. You should edit this page to provide more information about the file. For example, many public wiki projects are quite sensitive to copyright issues, and so you should explain where you got the file from, and what its copyright status is, on the description page. Any other useful descriptive notes could also be added there.
List of Files in the Wiki
There are a number of special pages to help you view and manage files which have been uploaded. Go to “Special pages” (in the tools on the left) and then see...
- Gallery of new files - If you just uploaded one, you will see it here.
- File list shows all of the files
- Unused files helps you track down files which might not be needed.
See Help:Special pages for details of the other information available here.