WeBWorK Main Forum

Recovering grades

Recovering grades

by Greg Warrington -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

Is there still a way to generate .csv files for grades from the command line? My WeBWorK installation got corrupted due to automatic updates on my machine (some libapreq2 issue on redhat). I'm having trouble getting WeBWorK back up and running. But all I need are the students' grades from the last two sets. It seems like I should be able to extract this from the database directly. Unfortunately, all of the references I've found to scoring scripts seem to out of date. I'm running 2.4.1 and sql_single.

Thanks for any help,
Greg
In reply to Greg Warrington

Re: Recovering grades

by Michael Gage -
I'm trying to determine the most efficient way to handle this question.
Can you give me some idea of how many sets, how many problems and how many students are involved?

The two approaches I can think of are accessing the database directly using mysql command line (or phpMyAdmin from the web if that can be installed) and the other is to use webwork2/bin/wwsh which allows you to access some of the webwork code from a command line shell. The second solution might require some time to figure out exactly which commands are needed to get your data, but it might be worth it if there are many students involved.
In reply to Michael Gage

by Fuzzy Rogers -
I suggested building mod_perl & apache 1.33 from scratch. I would be interested to know if there are any ramifications to such a scheme since it appears that all of the other functionality comes from loadable perl modules & mysql as opposed to apache functionality. However I believe Greg said that he had to revert to 2-3-dev for some reason. Can anyone think of why he would have to revert to an earlier version?

I believe he was able to recover grades easily by hopping to 1.33.
Take care,
Fuzzy
In reply to Fuzzy Rogers

by Michael Gage -
The only glitch in upgrading to 2-4 might be the necessity of installing an extra CPAN module or two. (Running bin/check_modules.pl will often provide an alert for this but it occasionally misses one -- and sometimes people forget to run it when they upgrade. )

Error messages that contain "unable to locate...." language often indicate that a CPAN module is missing.