Forum archive 2000-2006

John Jones - other roads to pdf?

John Jones - other roads to pdf?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicother roads to pdf? topic started 8/29/2002; 11:11:36 AM
last post 9/3/2002; 10:42:05 AM
userJohn Jones - other roads to pdf?  blueArrow
8/29/2002; 11:11:36 AM (reads: 1263, responses: 1)
Hi,

Has anyone experimented with faster ways of generating pdf files from LaTeX? It seems vlatex would be a simple drop in replacement. In some ways pdflatex would be better but would take some coding changes (we currently convert images to eps - pdflatex will deal with images but not with eps).

Mainly, I want to know if there is a downside to vlatex before I put it to work here. I can view its pdf files on my computer, but I didn't know if they would be worse for students who use various platforms.

John

<| Post or View Comments |>

userJohn Jones - Re: other roads to pdf?  blueArrow
9/3/2002; 10:42:05 AM (reads: 1716, responses: 0)
For anyone who might be interested, I switched our running courses to using vlatex for generating pdf. I think it is a little faster and I think the result looks nicer on the screen. So far, no problems reported.

We have vlatex automatically installed on our machines, so I didn't have to do anything there. I did change templates/texSetPreamble.tex. Some changes should probably be done universally: removing optional arguments to amsart (10pt is the default and dvips is an option for amsart) and removing epsf package (graphicx is enough). Then I commented out pslatex since vlatex takes care of fonts.

John

<| Post or View Comments |>