Forum archive 2000-2006

Richard M. Woodward - WebWork and Red Hat Linux

Richard M. Woodward - WebWork and Red Hat Linux

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWebWork and Red Hat Linux topic started 9/14/2002; 9:36:46 PM
last post 9/18/2002; 4:03:25 AM
userRichard M. Woodward - WebWork and Red Hat Linux  blueArrow
9/14/2002; 9:36:46 PM (reads: 948, responses: 1)
Hello, WebWorkers.

Red Hat Linux 7.2 and 7.3 have now been verified as friendly to WebWork on my PC. 95% of the work was done by installing "everything" when bringing up Linux. This can be done is under two hours.

The PC is an IBM PC 300PL: 265K memory: 6GB disk: Speed 400MHz.

Once Linux was installed, it only took about 25 minutes to run a modified version of Bill Ziemer's script (Thanks, Bill!) to install the WebWork system files. I only changed "Makefile"--all other files were used as is.

Building test courses was also easy. I did my "Professor" work on my Windows system using Mozilla for my browser. Early on I was writing perl trace programs to help figure out why my installation was failing. The two computers sitting side-by-side worked very well together.

I am very pleased with Red Hat, particularly with the ease of connecting my Linux system to my Windows 2000 system. The Linux system shares the modem and printer on my Windows system. Also, the Windows system is used to download files. I can easily copy those files to Linux via the use of Samba.

Anyone who is interested in bringing up Red Hat Linux 7.2 or 7.3 is welcome to contact me for tips.

Is anyone out there already using Red Hat Linux? I would like to build a list of those who are--we can share experiences and solve problems together. Please let me know who you are.

(585)671-8311 math@richardwoodward.com

Regards, Richard

<| Post or View Comments |>

userBill Ziemer - Re: WebWork and Red Hat Linux  blueArrow
9/18/2002; 4:03:25 AM (reads: 1208, responses: 0)
Bill Ziemer at CSULB (California State University Long Beach)

wziemer@csulb.edu http://www.csulb.edu/~wziemer

Hardware: dual 700 Xeon CPU, 1GB RAM, 100GB SCSI RAID array

<| Post or View Comments |>