Forum archive 2000-2006

John Jones - Questionairre problem

John Jones - Questionairre problem

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicQuestionairre problem topic started 12/11/2002; 6:06:55 PM
last post 12/12/2002; 8:53:21 PM
userJohn Jones - Questionairre problem  blueArrow
12/11/2002; 6:06:55 PM (reads: 1392, responses: 4)
Hi,

I tried to follow the directions for using the student questionnaire, and perl script to compile results, and it isn't working as advertised. My modifications to the questionnaire itself were minor (changing names of courses to match local ones).

If I use the html file of the questionnaire, the processing works, but naturally the listed responses don't match the changes I made. I got html source of the my questionnaire itself from my browser, but then it doesn't give data in the whatever_full.html file. I should say that I am also using the current compile script from CVS.

I think the problem is that the "compile" perl script is expecting various html tags to be upper case when doing string matching, but WeBWorK now produces some in lower case. As html goes, it doesn't matter, but this throws off string matching. For the perl script, making those string matches case insensitive will probably fix the problem.

John

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Questionairre problem  blueArrow
12/11/2002; 8:33:41 PM (reads: 1671, responses: 0)
Hi John,

Did you start with the current WeBWorK_questionnaire_fall02.pg and use compile_questionnaire_results_fall02.pl from CVS. I assume you did, but I want to make sure. These worked fine at Rochester. Do you have trouble if, as a test, you use the above pg file without any changes? If you save the the html source from the above pg file, does it match the html source from CVS (which I think was saved from typeset2, i.e. dvipng mode)? If it doesn't, can you email me the html source. More questions: which version of WeBWorK are you running? And which version of CGI.pm?

A final question. Browsers don't alter the html source, do they?

Arnie

userJohn Jones - Re: Questionairre problem  blueArrow
12/12/2002; 12:03:13 PM (reads: 1668, responses: 0)
Hi Arnie,

It looks like it is a browser difference. I tried various combinations of problem files, browser, and servers and the controlling variable was the browser.

Some browsers would show the html tags in upper case (which is I guess how they were produced) whereas others (my copies of mozilla and galeon) would show the same page with lower case tags. (Yet another browser wouldn't show the source - it would obey the expiration flag in the cgi output and requery the server, but without supplying the POST data so all I would get from that browser is the html source of an error page.)

John

12/12/2002; 12:17:22 PM (reads: 1629, responses: 0)
Thanks John,

I'll rewrite the "compile" script so that it works with Netscape 7 (which behaves like Mozilla) and MSIE 6.

Arnie

12/12/2002; 8:53:21 PM (reads: 1607, responses: 0)
Hi John,

A new version of the compile program compile_questionnaire_results_fall02.pl is now in the CVS repository. This should work with both browsers which do not convert the source to an XML compatible version (e.g. MSIE 6) and those that do (e.g. Netscape 7). Use typeset2 (dvipng) or formatted-text (tth) modes if you use Netscape 7. I didn't test things with typeset (LaTeX2HTML) mode and there are probably a few other changes required for that mode. Actually I only tested things with typeset2 mode.

Note that I have not yet updated compile_TA_results_fall02.pl.

Arnie