Forum archive 2000-2006

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - WeBWorK and Angel?

Zbigniew Fiedorowicz - WeBWorK and Angel?

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicWeBWorK and Angel? topic started 5/6/2003; 8:57:35 PM
last post 5/7/2003; 9:42:13 AM
userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - WeBWorK and Angel?  blueArrow
5/6/2003; 8:57:35 PM (reads: 845, responses: 1)
Mike,

I noticed that you gave a talk last month at an MAA regional meeting about using WeBWorK together with the class management system Angel. Could you say something about this here?

Zig

<| Post or View Comments |>

userMichael Gage - Re: WeBWorK and Angel?  blueArrow
5/7/2003; 9:42:13 AM (reads: 1082, responses: 0)
Hi Zig,

Dawn Jones, at SUNY Brockport, is very enthusiastic about their use of Angel on the Brockport campus. She and I were planning to give a presentation at the Seaway NeXT meeting at the spring Seaway MAA meeting at Alfred. Unfortunately at the last minute she was unable to attend, so the presentation was mostly about WeBWorK and some other seaway MAA projects, but not about Angel.

I don't have direct access to Angel, but here is what I know about it. It is produced by Cyberlearning labs and has a relatively open architecture which allows for expansion (http://www.cyberlearninglabs.com/Products/portalFramework.asp). When I asked about the API in january I was told that they were rewriting it at the time. They suggested that I work with their representative at Brockport to obtain the necessary documentation for interfacing WeBWorK and Angel once the rewrite was done.

Due to time pressure I haven't yet followed up on this matter. It seems to me that integrating WeBWorK as tool inside other course management systems is a very good idea and it's why I'm quite excited about your work with Moodle. Hopefully we can integrate WeBWorK into both of these systems, and any other CMS that would like to participate. At the moment it seems to me that because of your work, and because Moodle is completely open source that Moodle would be the place to start.

I haven't had much time yet to play with either Moodle or Angel (which in any case we don't have here at U of R) so I can't contribute a review on either one.

-- Mike

<| Post or View Comments |>