Forum archive 2000-2006

John Williams - Server Choices

John Williams - Server Choices

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicServer Choices topic started 5/30/2003; 2:22:03 PM
last post 6/4/2003; 8:45:25 AM
userJohn Williams - Server Choices  blueArrow
5/30/2003; 2:22:03 PM (reads: 1213, responses: 2)
At Hartford, we have the funds to purchase a server to run WebWork. I wanted anyone's two cents on 1) a favorite server 2) a favorite operating system. Any particular bad choices would be good to know about too. Thanks for your help.

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Server Choices  blueArrow
6/2/2003; 1:29:25 PM (reads: 1506, responses: 0)
Hi John,

You can get a powerful server for less than $3,000. Look at a Dell poweredge 2600. I just priced a dual 2.4 Ghz Xeon system with 1 GB memory and 2 36 GB hard disks for $2644. This is for a non RAID system with a lower level 3 year, next day service contract. The Dell servers we use have been incredibly reliable. If you have limited resources, I would recommend saving money and getting a non RAID system with lower level service contract. In the unlikely event you need service, next day service is fine. Obviously, if you can spend more than $3,000 you can get a more powerful, more reliable and more expandable system but for WeBWorK the above system is more than adequate. The one thing I would not skimp on is a second processor.

This should very easily serve a thousand or more students. It's more powerful than our current server at Rochester which is a dual processor Xeon. You can look at http://webhost.math.rochester.edu/webworkdocs/sites/systems/ but much of that info is several years out of date.

I'll repeat that the one thing I would definitely recommend is that you get a dual processor system.

userGavin LaRose - Re: Server Choices  blueArrow
6/4/2003; 8:45:25 AM (reads: 1456, responses: 0)
Hi John (et al.),

A quick follow up to Arnie's comments. We're a Sun shop here at Michigan, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend that to anyone who isn't already working with an installed Solaris base. (That said, our 280R servers are working great.) However, I strongly endorse his recommendation of a multi-processor system. The only trouble we've had with performance has been with a single processor machine that got hammered when an assignment of about 1000 students came due. A multi-processor system (with significantly slower processors) had no trouble with the same load.

Cheers,
Gavin