Forum archive 2000-2006

Gregg Klein - Error when scoring an assignment

Gregg Klein - Error when scoring an assignment

by Arnold Pizer -
Number of replies: 0
inactiveTopicError when scoring an assignment topic started 6/17/2003; 11:14:28 AM
last post 6/27/2003; 2:20:06 PM
userGregg Klein - Error when scoring an assignment  blueArrow
6/17/2003; 11:14:28 AM (reads: 2022, responses: 9)
Error: /ww/webwork/system/cgi/cgi-scripts/profScoreProbSet.pl duplicate keys equal to in /ww/webwork/system/courses/CHS-CONNECT/scoring/sSummer1ful.csv

How can I fix this problem?

Gregg

<| Post or View Comments |>

userArnold K. Pizer - Re: Error when scoring an assignment  blueArrow
6/17/2003; 3:13:18 PM (reads: 2292, responses: 0)
Hi Gregg,

I'm not sure how this happened and have never seen it before. What occured is that when your Summer sets were built, in the webwork database there were two students with blank student id's and balnk names that problems were built for. I don't know how this occured. Did you do anything strange? The two sudents have login names mh and rg, but no real names or student id's. You are using WeBWorK 1.7 (I'm about to upgrade you to WeBWorK 1.9) and at some point we added code so that hopefully such things are impossibe. I hope the code was added in WeBWorK 1.8 or obviously it's buggy.

When you score a set the scoring file is produced even though you get an error message. On the scoring page (item 2) select html format and scr files and download sSummer1scr.csv. You will see the students scores and also the two blank students. The scores will not be totaled and added to the totals file because the scoring files are corrupted (two students have identical blank id's). However you can download them (e.g. select csv format), put them into Excel, and total the results, etc. WeBWorK refuses to deal with corrupted files --- you have to work with them yourselves. If you want to do this, you can and don't need to make any changes.

If you look at the classlist database from the classlist page you do not see the blank students. If you look at View statistical data (Item 1 the prof page) set 0 is fine. Notice set 0 has 18 regular students in the "summer" section and 13 other students (practice students, etc.) in the "no name" section. If you do this for sets Summer1, ..., Summer4 you will get a pink screen and notice there are 18 regular students and 15 other students (2 EXTRA). These 2 extra students do not occur in View students progress (Item 3 the prof page)--- I don't know why. So to find them I ran the command line script export_webwork-database.pl and found their id's (mh and rg) and associated psvn's: 94949, 77089, 68028, 76813, 59194, 88744, 51540, 41864. You can plug these psvn's into Item 10 on the prof page and look at them and see they have no real names or student ID's. If you want you can use item 10 to delete these 8 sets and that should solve your problem. But before you try that, make a copy (from the command line) of the WeBWorK db. Actually, just to be doubly safe, I just made a backup (called CHS-CONNECT_webwork_DB.6-17-03). Note that you can not undo deleting a problem set. I assume this should work, but no one has been in this situation before that I know of. If you make a copy of the WeBWorK db, then try the deletions (be sure to double check you are deleting the blank studetns) and check that things work OK, you should be safe. If there are problems, just copy the backed db onto the real webwork db (CHS-CONNECT_webwork_DB) and you will be back to where you were before the deletions.

The other option (outlined above) is to live with the corrupted sets and score them using Excel or add the scores by hand.

Arnie

userZbigniew Fiedorowicz - Re: Error when scoring an assignment  blueArrow
6/17/2003; 6:03:12 PM (reads: 2280, responses: 0)
I've experienced a similar (maybe even identical) problem with scoring errors in our WWK installation. They were caused by an instructor building problem sets and then deleting some of the users (with already built problem sets) from the classlist database. Basically he overrode the default action of WeBWorK to merely change the status to drop when importing from a new classlist. I cured the problem along the lines of Arnie's solution by deleting the zombie problem sets by referring to them by their PSVNs.

Zig

6/17/2003; 8:39:53 PM (reads: 2255, responses: 0)
Just a followup thought. I think it would be a good idea for WeBWorK to refuse to delete users from the classlist database when there are existing problem assignments for these users. Even better would be if WeBWorK offered to delete these problem assignments before deleting the user record.

Zig

6/18/2003; 7:29:30 AM (reads: 2271, responses: 0)
Thanks Zig,

You are correct. The problem occurs when deleting students while importing from a new classlist file. We will fix this as you suggest which is how it is handled if, from the classlist page, you remove a record from the classlist database.

Arnie

6/18/2003; 10:34:06 AM (reads: 2257, responses: 0)
Arnie,

Here's another suggestion with regard to scoring. Could you add another field to the scoring files, containing the students' status (current or drop)? This would make it easy to separate out the grades for current students from those who dropped the course, by doing a single sort command on that column in Excel.

With the current version of scoring files, one either has to manually delete dropped students or merge together two spreadsheets and either do database or table lookups on the merged spreadsheet.

Zig

userGregg Klein - Re: Error when scoring an assignment  blueArrow
6/19/2003; 10:31:18 AM (reads: 2219, responses: 0)
Arnie & Zig,

Thanks for all your help!

Gregg

6/19/2003; 12:37:24 PM (reads: 2255, responses: 0)
Hi,

Now when importing a classlist file, (1) professors can not be dropped or removed and (2) if one attempts to remove students for whom sets exist, one gets a message and is given the opportunity to proceed or not.

Info is provided on how to actually remove or drop profs or to get more detailed info on which sets exist for which students.

Arnie

6/26/2003; 4:17:00 PM (reads: 2287, responses: 0)
Hi,

Another update (especially for Zig). The scoring files now have an Enrollment Status field.

Also to make this and other fields more usable, when one changes classlist info (First Name, Last Name, section, recitation, status) either from the web page or by importing a classlist file, these fields in the totals file (if one exists) are updated. Of course when importing, only the information selected for updating is updated.

Both the old totals file format (without the status field) and the new one will work so that if e.g. someone switches from WeBWorK 1.8 to 1.9 in the middle of a course, there will not be a problem.

Note that classlist info in the other scoring files (ful, sco, bak, etc.) is not updated. The info in these files is current as of the time they were created. The totals file is the only file that contains info for the whole semester.

Arnie

6/27/2003; 2:20:06 PM (reads: 2244, responses: 0)
Thanks, Arnie